Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Anyone have an AeroGarden?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Anyone have an AeroGarden?

by Jenise » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:56 pm

Offhand, this looks like a good idea: grow herbs or lettuces year round on your kitchen counter.

http://www.aerogrow.com/

Of course, I really couldn't have one--the cats would keep the plants trimmed down to stubs--but it does seem like a nifty idea for catless city dwellers!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Anyone have an AeroGarden?

by Bob Ross » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:55 pm

My son gave me one, Jenise, and I'm luke-warm on the operation of the unit.

It needs to run the grow lights for 18 hours a day, and we couldn't find a time of day where it wasn't irritating. We finally went to on at 5:00 am and off at 11:00 pm, but light pollution was a problem.

It needs distilled water which adds to the cost of the unit; otherwise the irrigation system will clog up in time.

It has different special fertilizer tablets for the various crops, which add to the cost, and the user groups haven't suggested an alternative that would be cheaper.

There is a definite smell of ammonia while the unit is operating; we kept it in a pantry about 40 feet from the kitchen and 45 feet from the table, so it didn't affect our cooking/dining pleasure, but it was a persistent odor 20 to 25 around the unit.

The current unit requires that you buy the seed kits from the company so that they will fit into the unit -- people have complained about this -- quite apart from the cost, you are limited by what the company has on offer.

It's tough to find a high enough value crop to make it pay -- we tried lettuce and got enough for two small salads every three days. As a daily salad person, that wasn't enough.

Herbs might make sense, but we are blessed with fresh herbs at very attractive prices, so the costs seem too high.

If we had kids, the unit would be fun and educational; cost is still a consideration.

We are considering two uses: starting plants, especially if the company actually comes up with the kits that allow you grow your own plants.

And, growing sprouts -- we've found we both like broccoli sprouts -- but I'm not sure the unit could keep up with a meaningful contribution to our demand.

All in all, a pleasant idea with lots of negatives. If anyone is interested, it is well worth following one of the user groups to get ideas on how to use the unit more effectively than we have.

We've had it since Christmas, ran it for six weeks and got eight small salads out of it, and haven't started it up again.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:39 pm

It's stupid and a true waste of money and energy, considering what you get back from it.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:42 pm

"It's stupid and a true waste of money and energy, considering what you get back from it."

As you know, Thomas, there are sometimes costs in not using a device. :(

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:58 am

Bob Ross wrote:"It's stupid and a true waste of money and energy, considering what you get back from it."

As you know, Thomas, there are sometimes costs in not using a device. :(

Regards, Bob

Yeah, Bob, but youshoulda asked me first ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:20 am

Perhaps my son David should have, Thomas. :)
no avatar
User

Eden B.

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:35 pm

by Eden B. » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:51 am

Wow, Bob - I had a totally different experience than you.

My parents gave me one last winter, and I thought it worked out very well. Let me address some of the points you made:

It needs to run the grow lights for 18 hours a day, and we couldn't find a time of day where it wasn't irritating. We finally went to on at 5:00 am and off at 11:00 pm, but light pollution was a problem.
To that end, I keep mine in the basement.

It needs distilled water which adds to the cost of the unit; otherwise the irrigation system will clog up in time.
Was not aware of this.

There is a definite smell of ammonia while the unit is operating; we kept it in a pantry about 40 feet from the kitchen and 45 feet from the table, so it didn't affect our cooking/dining pleasure, but it was a persistent odor 20 to 25 around the unit.
I have not experienced this at all. I only smelled the gorgeous herbs I grew all winter.

The current unit requires that you buy the seed kits from the company so that they will fit into the unit -- people have complained about this -- quite apart from the cost, you are limited by what the company has on offer.
You might be please to know that this is no longer true. Several months ago, I received a complimentary pack that allows me to grow whatever will fit in the unit. I intend to compose my own selection next cycle.

It's tough to find a high enough value crop to make it pay -- we tried lettuce and got enough for two small salads every three days. As a daily salad person, that wasn't enough.
I do wish it allowed for a bigger crop, but I think the biggest value for me will be using this in the winter so that I can have fresh herbs. My basil, dill, and cilantro took off like crazy in the unit!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:44 am

Thanks for sharing your experience, Eden.

I thought about putting the unit in the basement, but it takes fairly regular care so we wanted it where we would see it regularly. Our pantry is right next to the door we use to go in and out of the house.

We grew lettuce which had no odor, but aromatic herbs would be a great idea -- even if the yield was small, the aroma of the herbs would mask the ammonia smell and add to the pleasures of cooking and eating -- a big plus I hadn't thought of -- thanks. Another advantage -- herbs have a very long life compared to lettuce.

Be sure to use distilled water -- even small impurities can clog the fine lines, and the instructions make a big deal of this. Apparently the fertilizer can react with some of the chemicals in regular water. Also, if your water is chlorinated, it can adversely affect the plants.

I had read that they were going to make it possible to plant your own seeds -- I'll write and ask for a kit.

Aromatic herbs -- thanks for a great idea. Neither Janet nor I wanted to get rid of the unit since our son gave it to us.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:55 am

Bob Ross wrote: It's tough to find a high enough value crop to make it pay

Are you sure about that, Bob ;)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:59 am

Unless there's a dwarf variety, Peter. The lights don't go more than 12 inches or so high. :(
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:45 am

Bob Ross wrote:Unless there's a dwarf variety, Peter. The lights don't go more than 12 inches or so high. :(

Do I detect an entrepreneurial idea in the making???
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:07 pm

Regarding tomatoes and chili peppers and other fruits -- what about pollination???
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:20 pm

I use a paint brush, Peter. Used to work with hybrids in my college days -- learned the technique -- not that there's much to it.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:04 pm

Q-Tips will do...or a food brush. Or, you could hire a stud...;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:42 pm

Thomas wrote:Q-Tips will do...or a food brush. Or, you could hire a stud...;)

Let me guess...you're available? :wink:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:19 pm

Jenise wrote:

Depends on the liveliness and animation of the plant...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:58 pm

Thomas wrote:
Jenise wrote:

Depends on the liveliness and animation of the plant...

Good answer.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:49 pm

Now that we've gotten Thomas safely away from the carnivorous plants, Eden, I've just realized that we have a free source of distilled water -- we dehumidify an area around an indoor fish pond and the dehumidifier is a great source of distilled water.

Thanks for making me reconsider using David's gift, and thanks to Jenise for the original post. It will be fun to have the aroma of herbs in the kitchen this winter.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:36 pm

We have water stores here where you can fill your own 5-gal carboys for 25-30 cents/gallon. Not too bad, and no minerals.
no avatar
User

Peter Hertzmann

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:58 pm

Palo Alto, CA

by Peter Hertzmann » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:16 pm

I'm coming to this a bit late...

It appears that this device costs about $170. I can buy a lot of herbs at $1 per bunch at that price. It doesn't appear cost effective to me, at least in my situation here in the San Francisco Bay Area.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:19 pm

I agree, Peter -- my capital cost in this case is $0 plus quite a bit of filial love. :)
no avatar
User

Eden B.

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:35 pm

by Eden B. » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:57 am

Mine was a gift, and I know it was $130 plus it came with an extra growing kit. Yes, it's a lot, but I think with time I will figure out ways to make it worth it. I must say, it was a pleasure to have a selection of fresh herbs to use throughout the winter, rather than continually going to the store to buy multiple bunches of herbs, when some sprigs from the Aerogrow were available and inspiring.

One idea I'm toying with, since I see they have a strawberry kit: I may up the ante and try fraises du bois!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:33 pm

Let me know how that goes, Eden, if you try it. They are fairly small plants, and if they fruit, the berries are delicious and rarely available any other way.

I'm not sure whether they are self pollinators, but Q-Tips, as Thomas points out, work very well, and it would be an easy job in such close quarters.