Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Using truffle salt effectively?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Eden B.

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:35 pm

Using truffle salt effectively?

by Eden B. » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:54 am

My sister bought me a jar of truffle salt for my b-day. The stuff smells unbelievably heavenly, and I decided to use it for the first time last night. I sprinkled a nice amount on top of barely cooked King Salmon, and while the aroma permeated the kitchen, there was zero impact on the palate. How should truffle salt best be used, please?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Re: Using truffle salt effectively?

by Robert J. » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:43 am

They work great in mashed potatoes. Peel them and put them through a food mill for a really luxurious dish. I have also made sausage patties seasoned with thyme and truffle salt that worked really well in my cassoulet.

rwj
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:04 pm

I tried mine lightly sprinkled on a halibut filet. The primary effect was aromatic, as you said, but the flavor came through.

I would think an excellent use would be truffled eggs though.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:08 pm

Hoke wrote:I tried mine lightly sprinkled on a halibut filet. The primary effect was aromatic, as you said, but the flavor came through.

It's excellent on scallops, too, which I like to score lightly and salt about fifteen minutes before I cook them, doing each side in turn--that dessicates the surface and gives the scallop a better exterior crust. Scoring really holds the truffle flavor.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:19 pm

Like others, I use it for scallops and scrambled eggs -- I notice the aroma much more than the taste, but since I love the taste of both scallops and eggs, that's just fine in my world. :)

One interesting side effect: Janet has to carefully restrict her salt intake, but she gets the aroma from my portions, in the same way I do.

My jar is running low -- does anyone have a recco for a good source/brand? I bought mine in Italy two years ago. Penzeys doesn't seem to stock it.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:06 pm

Bob, I have Cassina Rossa. I just googled it, which you can buy through Amazon.com, for one.

Click for Amazon.com listing
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:51 pm

Thank you Jenise.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:07 am

Sprinkled on boiled quail eggs.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon