Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Coffee Lovers

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Coffee Lovers

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:42 pm

From Peets Coffee (I'm on their email list):

Panama Esmeralda Geisha

On May 29th, 2007, just ten sacks of Panama Esmeralda Geisha were sold for the highest price ever paid at an international coffee auction, an astounding $130 per pound wholesale. Characterized by an unforgettable jasmine-like fragrance and pristine citrus clarity, this coffee has garnered 10 first place awards in the last 4 years. As the first and still primary buyer of this unparalleled coffee, Peet's is able to sell it at the same price as last year.

Panama Esmeralda Geisha is available only in limited quantities, and roasted to order on selected days during the summer and fall. Pre-order today for the first roast date of July 18th.

You'll see why this coffee has won such acclaim as soon as you open the bag. The fragrance — variously described as smelling like jasmine, citrus blossoms and bergamot — is extraordinary. We'll leave you to decide which, but there's no question that the bright, sweet citric acidity, and delicate flavor nuances will remain in your memory long after you've drained the last precious cup.

OK, I admit that I love coffee, but can someone really pick up nuances like this from java?? More importantly...would any of you be willing to pay $24.95 for 1/2 lb. of the stuff?

I have to admit I was tempted, but I'm not going to play into it. Must...resist.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Coffee Lovers

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:48 pm

Tempting. Very tempting. But no I can hold out. I love Peet's stuff, but that's more than a good bottle of wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:28 pm

Yes.

And yes.

Yes, there are people who can tell the difference, and can pick up the most impressive panorama of aromas and flavors. You just can't tell which ones they are, or differntiate them from the marketing folks with old English majors.

And yes, there are people who are willing to pay that much for coffee. The world is rife with them.

Is coffee really different from wine, in that regard?

As for me, David said it: tempted, but I'll pass on this one.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:35 am

Hmmm. My impression of Peet's coffee is that everything they put out is roasted to the point that it tastes more or less the same. Maybe that's just me, but it would certainly prevent me from paying that much for their coffee.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child