Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Rigatoni in Pink Vodka Sauce

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: RCP: Rigatoni in Pink Vodka Sauce

by Thomas » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:04 am

John Tomasso wrote:
Maria Samms wrote:Edited to add: I leave out the proscuitto for the Christmas Eve version since we are not supposed to eat any meat...LOL!

I was just about ready to pounce on you when I read your edit.
I thought I had you there for a minute.......

Christmas Eve where I am in the Finger Lakes is a challenge. We barely can find four different fishes, let alone seven. I make up for it by getting all four, three of which in two different sizes ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:45 am

Thomas wrote:
Christmas Eve where I am in the Finger Lakes is a challenge. We barely can find four different fishes, let alone seven. I make up for it by getting all four, three of which in two different sizes ;)

LOL Thomas...I definitely think it can be challenging...especially if you don't want 7 different pasta dishes with fish. My family usually has 3-4 different types of "Fishes" in their Antipasto...ie, Tuna in oil, Sardines, Anchovies, smoked salmon or salted cod along with the pickled veggies, olives, and cheeses.

Then there is the Shrimp Cocktail, fried Calamari, and a tossed salad with Scungilli.

That's 7 different fish...but if you are counting it as dishes, it would be tough.

The entrees are usually Mussels Marinara, a poached Salmon or baked Halibut, and either crab cakes, lobster tails, or linguini with Clam Sauce.

So counting that would be about 7 dishes, but I do think we try and do 7 different types of fish and not 7 different dishes.

Do you not count shellfish?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:33 am

Maria Samms wrote:That's 7 different fish...but if you are counting it as dishes, it would be tough.

Shellfish count, or I'll be going to hell.

Not that hard to get to 7:

1.baked clams/raw clams
2.spaghetti aglia olio (anchovy)
3.stuffed calamari
4.fried shrimp and shrimp parm
5.bacala salad
6.baked eel
7.fried filet of sole
8. merluzza

I have rotated in other fish over the years - a big hit one year was swordfish which I cut up into cubes and broiled very quickly on a sheet pan - when it came out I drizzled it with a lemon juice, olive oil and chopped garlic emulsion I got from Hazan - I just dumped it all into a big bowl and we heaped it on to our plates with a spoon.
We've done the lobster tail fra diavolo, too, but frankly, everyone prefers my stuffed calamari brasied in red sauce.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:45 am

Sounds like a delicious menu John! Would you share your recipe for the stuffed Calamari?

Also, what is merluzza?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:12 pm

John Tomasso wrote:
Maria Samms wrote:That's 7 different fish...but if you are counting it as dishes, it would be tough.

Shellfish count, or I'll be going to hell.

Not that hard to get to 7:

1.baked clams/raw clams
2.spaghetti aglia olio (anchovy)
3.stuffed calamari
4.fried shrimp and shrimp parm
5.bacala salad
6.baked eel
7.fried filet of sole
8. merluzza

I have rotated in other fish over the years - a big hit one year was swordfish which I cut up into cubes and broiled very quickly on a sheet pan - when it came out I drizzled it with a lemon juice, olive oil and chopped garlic emulsion I got from Hazan - I just dumped it all into a big bowl and we heaped it on to our plates with a spoon.
We've done the lobster tail fra diavolo, too, but frankly, everyone prefers my stuffed calamari brasied in red sauce.

Haven't seen bacala, eel, or merluzza in these parts since I moved here in 1984. I love fresh eel...great sushi place in Manhattan used to serve it.

And shell fish better count or I'm in serious trouble with the seven fishes god...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:12 am

Maria Samms wrote: Would you share your recipe for the stuffed Calamari?

Maria, I don't really have a recipe but I can tell you what I do.
I make a bread stuffing by soaking stale Italian bread and pulling off the crust, and squeezing the water out. I add about two good handfuls of chopped parsley (per 2 loaves of bread) four or five cloves of garlic, slivered up, black pepper and salt, and an egg or two. I have also used grated Reggiano, other times not, I really don't think it needs it. Mix that all up and stuff it into the cleaned calamari tubes. Don't overstuff them or they will burst open. Close and secure with toothpicks, or sew closed with a needle and thread.
I then heat some olive oil in a large sauce pan, and flavor it with chopped garlic and crushed red pepper. Carefully place the stuffed calamari into the hot oil - it will splatter so watch your hands. Let the flesh firm up a bit - turn them carefully and allow them to color a little bit all around. Then simply add a can or two of crushed tomatoes - enough to cover them. Season the sauce however you like, it really doesn't need much because it is going to taste of the fish.
I throw the tentacles in at this point, too. Then let it simmer, very low, and stir once in a while so it doesn't burn.
They need to cook at least two hours - my sign that they are ready is when one busts open - I always make extra because it always happens. Don't despair, the stuffing melding with the sauce will flavor and thicken it.
Then just remove them and keep warm - serve the sauce over pasta as a first course, and follow up with the calamari as a secondi.

Maria Samms wrote:Also, what is merluzza?

I believe it is aka whiting.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:00 pm

We enjoyed the other half tonight. As mentioned in the initial post we saved half of sauce and half of the box of pasta. We had also halved the cheese, so we grated another six tablespoons of the Parmesan Reggiano tonight.

It was even better than the first night. Admitedly the cheese could make the difference. As we did the first night, matched it with Italian style chicken sausage and Masciarelli Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. Also a few English Peas for color. Mmmmmmm!!!
Previous