Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Good food last Sunday

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Good food last Sunday

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:09 am

Last Sunday I made oatmeal scones and Nigella Lawson's Overnight Bacon and Egg Bake for breakfast (a variant on French toast that used some ketchup, believe it or not) and coq au vin that night (yum!).

The Bacon & Egg Bake was unusual and tasty. I wasted an hour trying to find a case of wine that I purchased specifically for cooking. (How can you lose a case of wine?) I finally had to use a bottle of zin that worked well. And I used up a box of crimini mushrooms. Lots of work, but it sure tasted good.

Have you made anything out of the ordinary lately?
[/b]
no avatar
User

Peter Hertzmann

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:58 pm

Palo Alto, CA

Re: Good food last Sunday

by Peter Hertzmann » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:40 pm

This is what we (my wife, myself, and two guests) had for dinner on Sunday:
It sounds better in French, but here’s the translation:
    lentil salad topped with a poached egg

roast pork tenderloin with a mustard-onion sauce
    blanched broccolini with a fresh tomato garnish

fresh goat-cheese custard
    mesclun salad with walnut oil

ginger-perfumed strawberry soup

Everyone thought the dinner was yummy...
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:26 pm

Larry, when we have house-guests, I frequently make a breakfast casserole with either bacon, ham or sausage, eggs, milk, white bread and cheddar cheese. It is assembled the evening before and just popped in the oven an hour before serving time. It's great for guests since no one is slaving over a hot griddle before having the chance to ingest sufficient amounts of coffee. Was the bacon and egg bake similar to what I describe? Did the ketchup turn the concoction pink? I'm sure it was delicious. Rather like the tasty addition of salsa or hot sauce to scrambled eggs.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:51 pm

Larry, now that a new Big Jim supply is on it's way (actually, it arrive 30 minutes ago), I've been freely and happily slapping green chiles on everything--I'm on my last bag of last year's, which means I spaced them out pretty well. So on Saturday night we had divine Larry Burgers that grilled on our boat--two whole chiles per sandwich. Sunday's sherried pot roast was also superb, especially with parslied potatoes I'd grown myself and a salad of lettuces I'd also grown tossed with a black walnut vinaigrette, and last night's dinner of Mexican creamed corn (fresh corn cut off the cob and sauteed with green chiles) topped with homemade chicken tamales and grilled shrimp, was pretty damned fine eatin' along with a bottle of nervy California chardonnay from the boys at Caymus. The corn was sweltering hot, so a cool chopped tomato and onion salad on the side made a good extinguisher.

You know what, there's really never a day we don't eat well. :D
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:13 pm

I hope they arrived in good shape (your check did). BTW, I forgot to ask you for two forms of ID.

I also hope that you have or soon will roast a couple of Big Jims and peel them and eat them before you freeze them. Yum. They're my fave.

Strip the seeds out after peeling and scarf down one or two au naturel, and see how you like the flavor.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:59 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:I hope they arrived in good shape (your check did). BTW, I forgot to ask you for two forms of ID.

I also hope that you have or soon will roast a couple of Big Jims and peel them and eat them before you freeze them. Yum. They're my fave.

Strip the seeds out after peeling and scarf down one or two au naturel, and see how you like the flavor.

This is good news, as I start roasting tomorrow.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:59 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:I hope they arrived in good shape (your check did). BTW, I forgot to ask you for two forms of ID.

We're roasting tonight. As for your second paragraph: as if I could resist!

The first ones off the fire go straight into a salsa. The next batch will become marinated chiles for inclusion with naught but cheese and a big slice of hot garlicky roasted pork shoulder in some fresh, warm corn tortillas. There will also be camarones (shrimp, said the spanish way for the occasion) with a hot and sweet cumin dipping sauce, cucumber and Walla Walla sweet onion salad, ice cold Alaskan Amber and Herredura margaritas. If you're not busy, come on by: Anne and Ron, Jim L sans Mary, Chris and Scot, and Les and Teresa will all be here.