Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Meatloaf mistake and subsequent recovery

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Meatloaf mistake and subsequent recovery

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:54 pm

I was throwing together a meatloaf for supper tonight. The plan was to mix equal parts of Italian sausage and ground chuck, add an egg, some bread crumbs, onion, oregano, and some shredded mozzarella. Everything went along according to plan until I stuck the thing in the oven while simultaneously remembering that the onion had yet to be chopped, much less added. So I let the thing bake anyway. About halfway through, I sliced a red onion up and caramelized it in some butter with a little dried thyme. I served the meatloaf on top of the onion and it was excellent. The meatloaf came out with a very firm crust and the sausage and oregano gave it plenty of spice. It was dense but still moist. The onions added a nice smoky sweetness to the meat that worked very well. Added bonus was that the wife does not really like onion in meatloaf but she liked this a lot. Added bonus #2 - I could use the term "deconstructed", which seems to be a stylish term these days.

I may never put onion in my meatloaf again!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: Meatloaf mistake and subsequent recovery

by John Tomasso » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:34 am

So, you didn't screw up, you experienced a bolt of creativity.
Good show.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:48 am

For some reason, even though I adore hot Italian sausage and use it all the time, I have never made the leap to the logical use of putting it in meatloaf, even though I use ground pork in meatloaf almost invariably! Good grief! :oops:

I even do a meatloaf with an inside layer of ricotta cheese. This would be killer with that!

Thanks for this thought, Mike.

(Wow, I feel like such a twit!! :roll:)
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:43 am

We use ground sausage (Jimmy Dean Regular) in our meatballs and meatloaf. Not 50/50 though....closer to 40 % Sausage / 60% ground chuck. Plus all the other stuff ( parsley, parmesan, S&P, eggs, cracker, onion etc..)

Richard
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:46 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:For some reason, even though I adore hot Italian sausage and use it all the time, I have never made the leap to the logical use of putting it in meatloaf, even though I use ground pork in meatloaf almost invariably! Good grief! :oops:

I even do a meatloaf with an inside layer of ricotta cheese. This would be killer with that!

Thanks for this thought, Mike.

(Wow, I feel like such a twit!! :roll:)

Well, I'd never thought of it either until Jenise posted her "Best Meat Loaf Ever" thread back on the old FLDG. That had the sausage and the mozzarella in it, as well as some other things. It's well worth trying out if you haven't yet. The RC is here.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child