Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Browning Butter Mystery

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Browning Butter Mystery

by Jon Peterson » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:30 pm

I was heating butter last night in an effort to brown it just a little. (Ultimate intent was to add garlic and a little lemon juice and pour over grilled bay scallops - ultimately turned out very well.)
Just prior to the butter beginning to turn, some weird clumps began to appear swirling around at the bottom on the pan. It wasn't long before they burned while the rest of the butter was a nice deep gold.
This did not ruin my plans, but I would like to know how to avoid these clumps appearing next time.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Browning Butter Mystery

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:15 pm

Those were milk solids, Jon. Use clarified butter to avoid that.

Here is an easy tutortial on how to clarify butter:

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Clarifying- ... etail.aspx
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:58 pm

The milk solids are required in order for the butter to brown. Clarified butter will not brown and is used much like olive and other vegetable oils. Jon simply had a few solids in his butter that clumped together. Next time, just remove any that are getting a little darker, faster than you want. Then proceed with your recipe.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:38 am

Thank you, Cynthia and Jo Ann. I can't help but notice that your suggestions conflict a little and cause me to ask this: Can the clarified butter be browned? Would I heat it longer or to a hotter temp? Or should I be content to scoop out the milk solids from regular butter and leave it at that?
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:45 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:I was heating butter last night in an effort to brown it just a little.

Greetings Jon: As Jo Ann has pointed out already, "browned butter" (beurre noir in Escoffier) is based on the milk solids browning. If instead you clarify butter, you are exactly removing that factor, increasing the useful cooking temperature, so that you can employ it as a cooking fat without browning. (Done in commercial kitchens and extensively in Indian cooking. Classic French professional recipes in the Guide Culinaire for roux and other intermediate preparations, for instance, specify clarified butter.)

They are different objectives, and your starting premise above implies that you were going down the first of the two paths.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:27 pm

Jon, I was focusing on the fact that you didn't like the "weird clumps" that burned (and not that you wanted to slightly brown the butter) and was trying to eliminate them for you.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Thank you - I'm clear now and sorry for any confusion.