The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: M-S-Rs: Hain, Karthäuserhof, Karlsmühle

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: M-S-Rs: Hain, Karthäuserhof, Karlsmühle

by Saina » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:32 pm

From a recently purchased mixed case. Mostly some lovely wines, but I am a bit puzzled about the Sekt. The other note on cellartracker seems so utterly different...

• 1996 Karthäuserhof Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg Riesling Spätlese #23 - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Ruwer (6/4/2006)
    AP 3 561 303 10 97. 7,5% abv. Light colour, greenish. The nose is austere, steely, mineral, citrussy - lovely! The palate is also austere, though with a touch of sweetness, citrussy, intense, mineral and very, very long. Lovely!
  • 1997 Weingut Karlsmühle Kaseler Kehrnagel Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Saar (6/4/2006)
    AP 3 536 016 24 98. 8,0% abv. Light gold. The nose is open, friendly and elegant rather than austere but still very mineral. There is that olive stone character that I find is a precursor to petrolliness and also a bit of cheesiness and wet wool (reduction?) which disappear after a few hours open. Lovely nose! The palate is gladly also lovely: slightly sweet, with lovely acidity, citrussy, mineral, intense and very long. Lovely stuff but young!
  • 2001 Kurt Hain Piesporter Domherr Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Mosel (6/4/2006)
    AP 2 596 432 16 02. 7,5% abv. The colour is light gold, unevolved. The nose has slight mature elements like a hint of petrol and pungency, but is mostly unevolved and primarily fruity and sherbetty. The palate is rather sweet but balanced by decent acidity, but the mid-palate is sherbetty still. The aftertaste is deliciously acidic and citrussy. Very good potential.
  • 2003 Kurt Hain Riesling Brut - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Mosel (6/4/2006)
    Light yellow colour. The nose is very subdued but the elements noticable are pleasant: mineral water, citrus. The mousse is very fine and elegant. The palate is massively fruity, with low acidity, and absolutely no length. Odd: considering the subdued nose and utter lack of aftertaste, I would have said this slightly corked but that doesn't explain the massively fruity mid palate. I did like some elements of the wine, though, especially the Muscadet-like hints on the nose.
  • 2004 Kurt Hain Piesporter Goldtröpfchen Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Mosel (6/4/2006)
    AP 2 596 432 14 05. 7,5% abv. A pungently mineral nose, with an Albariño-like sea-breeze note, and a bit of passionfruit and blackcurrant leaves even - not really what I expected from the grape but very, very nice! The palate is off-dry, with decent acidity on the mid-palate which tends to grow more and more intense towards the end. Very good potential.

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Arnt Egil Nordlien

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:49 pm

Oslo

Re: WTN: M-S-Rs: Hain, Karthäuserhof, Karlsmühle

by Arnt Egil Nordlien » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:22 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:..and blackcurrant leaves even - not really what I expected from the grape but very, very nice!

I find this very typical in the Goldtröpfchen.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:16 pm

Arnt Egil Nordlien wrote:
Otto Nieminen wrote:..and blackcurrant leaves even - not really what I expected from the grape but very, very nice!

I find this very typical in the Goldtröpfchen.

Good to know! It's very interesting. Must get my hands on more Golden droplets (transl?). Is Kurt Hain, do you know, usually relatively low in acidity?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Arnt Egil Nordlien

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:49 pm

Oslo

by Arnt Egil Nordlien » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:10 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:Is Kurt Hain, do you know, usually relatively low in acidity?

I only visited the estate once for a very short tasting of the 2001's. There were no low acids in the wines. But as I said it was 2001 I tasted.