Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

NEWS: Corn off the cob

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

NEWS: Corn off the cob

by Jenise » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:04 pm

A tidbit in this morning's New York times brightened my day, not to mention the scabbed callous on the underside of my right index finger which resulted from the labor required to cut the kernels off ten ears of corn with a standard chef's knife last Sunday:

It looks like a tiny Venetian carnival mask with a winsome smile, but the new stainless steel corn zipper, made by Kuhn Rikon, is an effective gadget for summer cooking. Knives can cut into the cob even when used by the steadiest hand, but the corn zipper's little teeth precisely separate the kernels from the cob so that they drop into a bowl. The corn zipper is around $11.95 at Broadway Panhandler, Gracious Home and at Art of Cooking.

Gonna order me one right away!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: NEWS: Corn off the cob

by Hoke » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:59 pm

Ah, memories.

You brought back some mouth-watering remembrances of the pure, sweet taste of fresh corn stripped off the cob, Jenise. One of the essential sense memories of my childhood, still quite viid and focused and intense tastes in my jaded old brain.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: NEWS: Corn off the cob

by Bob Henrick » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:53 pm

Hoke, being an old southern boy, did your Mom fry corn off the cob in bacon fat?
Bob Henrick