The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

wtn: Allegrini Palazzo Della Torre 1999

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

wtn: Allegrini Palazzo Della Torre 1999

by OW Holmes » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:14 pm

I buy a few bottles of this every year, or did until I ran into the 2000 vintage which seemed to have taken a major shift to a softer and more modern and less italian style. I finally got around to opening my first of the 99s. WOW>>>>
This is sweet blackberry, currant, earth and herbs which changed in emphasis for two hours. Right now it is showing a bit of barnyard too. Ultra pure and wonderful mouthfeel, and full of tannins but wonderful tannins that are fully integrated, sweet, and make you want to chew the finish, but don't because you fear you'll find blackberry seeds between teeth and gum. My oh my. I wish I hadn't committed to Bois de Boursan at NiagaraCOOL, or I'd bring this. Wonderful stuff, consumed with picnic fare - ground sirloin hamburgers done on the grill, and grilled asparagus and onions. Oh well, what the H. Bring em both.
-OW
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

Re: wtn: Allegrini Palazzo Della Torre 1999

by Paulo in Philly » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:17 pm

Bring it, bring it!!!! :-)
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:51 pm

I also drank this regularly for several years, but it has been a while. The last I had was from the 1998 vintage and it was wonderful. Sorry to hear that they are changing styles. It really was one of my Veneto favorites.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:44 am

Thanks OW. Have one left tucked away, time to put it in drinking queue it sounds.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:46 pm

OW Holmes wrote:This is sweet blackberry, currant, earth and herbs which changed in emphasis for two hours. Right now it is showing a bit of barnyard too. Ultra pure and wonderful mouthfeel, and full of tannins but wonderful tannins that are fully integrated, sweet, and make you want to chew the finish, but don't because you fear you'll find blackberry seeds between teeth and gum.

I opened one not long ago, and found that it needed about 20-30 minutes of aeration to really open up. Was yours initially closed? Did you decant? Or are we dealing with bottle variation?

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:54 pm

OW Holmes wrote:I wish I hadn't committed to Bois de Boursan at NiagaraCOOL, or I'd bring this. Wonderful stuff, consumed with picnic fare - ground sirloin hamburgers done on the grill, and grilled asparagus and onions. Oh well, what the H. Bring em both.

I'm not doing burgers, but we'll have "Beef on Weck", Italian sausage, ribs, BBQ chicken and perhaps I could manage some grilled asparagus. :P
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:55 pm

Howie Hart wrote:
OW Holmes wrote:I wish I hadn't committed to Bois de Boursan at NiagaraCOOL, or I'd bring this. Wonderful stuff, consumed with picnic fare - ground sirloin hamburgers done on the grill, and grilled asparagus and onions. Oh well, what the H. Bring em both.

I'm not doing burgers, but we'll have "Beef on Weck", Italian sausage, ribs, BBQ chicken and perhaps I could manage some grilled asparagus. :P

Howie - thank you for all of your hard work and for organizing this event. You rock!!! :P
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:34 pm

OW Holmes wrote:I buy a few bottles of this every year, or did until I ran into the 2000 vintage which seemed to have taken a major shift to a softer and more modern and less italian style.

Hi O W,

Despite the change in style, I recently bought 2 - 2000 Allegrinis. I have been looking for Allegrinis offered by Vintages every since my introduction to this wine with your vertical tasting at MoCool in 2004. We had one the other night for dinner, and it was a really nice food wine. Admittedly not a distinctive ripasso, but still a very good wine for dinner and it still had enough old world character to sing with food :wink: .
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:44 pm

No. 1
What a great time that was. The Mas le Plana was incredible. I picked up a couple of bottles of the newer releases, but haven't opened any yet.
I think the 99 PDT is better even than the 97, and I still have some of that, the 98, the 99 and one remaining 00. Could be a nice vertical at MoCOOL sometime.
I haven't seen whether you are coming to NiagaraCOOL but both Bether and I hope you and the bros are going to be there. If not, we'll see you in late August in AA.
-OW
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:23 pm

Hi O. W.

Glad you enjoyed the Mas la Plana tasting. I know I sure did. Unfortunately, the Noland Brothers missed NiagaraCool. We will be at MoCool this year. Have you heard what the official theme is yet? I have heard of some rumors about sweet 16. See you there.
Tom Noland
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:24 pm

That's the rumor I heard too, No. 1. Seems a bit limiting, but I assume they will have a table for those of us who don't have any 90's tucked away.
Sorry you missed NiagaraCOOL. Pretty small crowd, probably because it was damn cool temperaturewise, but I am very glad I attended. You would have enjoyed it. I remember that the N bros were at the riesling tasting put on by John Tromley at Chop House No. VI a few years ago, and Brian Ulbrich, the winemaker from Peninsula Cellars in No. Michigan, was there with his recent fabulous success, the 2002 semi-dry riesling. That bottle was at this tasting, as was his newest effort for his own label, a Left Foot Charley dry riesling. These were two of the three bottles (of over 20 rieslings) that were totally consumed. We didn't tally the scores, but that should say something. And the 02 got better as it warmed up. Really nice juice.
Of course, I didn't follow all the rules. In addition to the rieslings, I also brought the Palazzo della Torre 99 (just as good as the other night) and a 99 Bois de Boursan just because. I didn't bring a single hybrid.. But I sure enjoyed drinking some.
See you at MoCOOL!!!!
-OW
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:32 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Thanks OW. Have one left tucked away, time to put it in drinking queue it sounds.

We had another at Niagara Cool, Dale. A bit earthier and more barnyard than the one last week, but every bit as good - actually better for me. I have no hesitation in saying it is time to pop the cork on this one. It is PRIME!!!!
-OW
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:13 pm

OW Holmes wrote: Brian Ulbrich, the winemaker from Peninsula Cellars in No. Michigan, was there with his recent fabulous success, the 2002 semi-dry riesling. That bottle was at this tasting, as was his newest effort for his own label, a Left Foot Charley dry riesling. These were two of the three bottles (of over 20 rieslings) that were totally consumed. We didn't tally the scores, but that should say something. And the 02 got better as it warmed up. Really nice juice.
See you at MoCOOL!!!!

Hi O. W.

I am the real riesling lover in the family and your tasting sounds really good to me. Wish I could have been there. I am looking forward to seeing you at MoCool :!:
Tom Noland
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:18 pm

Tom N. wrote:
I am the real riesling lover in the family and your tasting sounds really good to me. Wish I could have been there. I am looking forward to seeing you at MoCool :!:

OK, No 1. I have an idea. I will bring a bottle of the Left Foot Charley to MoCOOL, just for you. And for me.
-OW
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:24 pm

OW Holmes wrote:OK, No 1. I have an idea. I will bring a bottle of the Left Foot Charley to MoCOOL, just for you. And for me.

O. W.

Great idea! I will bring one of my rieslings to compare. I really like the latest Gunderloch 2004 riesling kabinett and I may bring that.
Tom Noland