The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Gray Monk "Odyssey" Merlot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2001 Gray Monk "Odyssey" Merlot

by Jenise » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:22 am

2001 Gray Monk "Odyssey" Merlot
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia

Gray Monk has several lines, and the "Odyssey" series is their best. And there, 2001 was a cooler year (than 02 and and 03, say) which produced restrained wines of classic structure. It took a good hour for this wine to open up and show it's fruit--at first, I got but strong, bitter coffee. Eventually the sweet, floral merlot nose appeared along with plummy and blackberry fruit, sweet herbs and just a hint of unsweetened dark chocolate. Good acidity, medium body and tannins made the wine much closer to St. Emilion than Sonoma in style, with youthful tannins and hints of secondary development just around the corner. Showed better with food than without, but it was quite good to just sip and discuss the events of the day over. Price: about $25 at the winery last summer.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2001 Gray Monk "Odyssey" Merlot

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:38 am

Hi Jenise, hows the birding from the bunkhouse there!!

I was looking at this one the other day but decided on the Montes Alpha. However I did cast my eye over Cedar Creek as well as Quails Gate so I have some interesting buying coming up for WT 101. The Tinhorn Creek Merlot used to set the standard for this varietal but not any more (by all accounts).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2001 Gray Monk "Odyssey" Merlot

by Jenise » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:05 pm

Bob, all's well here, both with us and the birds.

We really did like the Gray Monk. We appreciated it even more last night when we sipped a sweeter, fleshier Washington merlot--which many would prefer to the Gray Monk's sleek Europeanness.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov