The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: New Calif/WashState White&Red Rhones...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: New Calif/WashState White&Red Rhones...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:43 pm

We tasted last night (5/3/06) some White&Red Rhones:
1. BonnyDoon GrenacheBlanc MontereyCnty (14.5%) 2004: Pale gold color; light floral/pear rather
aromatic bit appley/Mosel valve oil interesting nose; very soft/fat light pear/appley slight
metallic/earthy flavor; med.short fat/underacid low-key floral/apple/pear finish; pleasant
enough nose but ratherr vapid on palate. $18.00
finish; quite a lot of toasty/oak in nose but good Viognier character; nice Viognier at a
very fair price. $17.00
very attractive flavor; long tropical fruit/peach/pear rich/lush finish; rather stinky nose
but really great flavors; needs decanting to breathe. $27.00
finish; a rather understated Viognier but great structure & acidity and needs several yrs;
very/very rendition of Viognier. $41.00
Viognier/pear light toasty/oak/nutmeg finish; alcohol not obvious at all; badly needs
some age and should be a great one. $39.00
flavor; very long/lush/ripe hazelnutty/honeysuckle/floral complex light toasty finish; carries
the alcohol well; a huge/lush/ripe Roussanne. $39.00
long pencilly/Burgundian Pinotish/black cherry w/ some tannins; needs several yrs; a lovely
rather Pinotish rendition of Syrah; beautiful wine. $34.00
spicy/black cherry/Syrah light pencilly/toasty/oak some tannic finish; needs 2-5 yrs; much
stronger Syrah/peppery character but in a Pinot style; beautiful rendition of Syrah. $48.00
black cherry/Syrah some toasty/oak/pungent bit tannic flavor; very long strong black cherry/
blackberry/Syrah light toasty/oak/pungent some peppery/dusty finish w/ some tannins; needs
several yrs; much more classic Syrah than the SonomaCoast versions; lovely/classic RRV Syrah.
$45.00
like slight cherry/strawberry flavor; long dusty/earthy finish w/ light tannins; very low
fruit profile but quite an interesting WashState red w/ a sorta CdP style. $35.00
Syrah light dusty finish w/ light tannins; a very attractive straightforward/blocky WashState
Syrah at a good price. $25.00
12. K-Vintners Syrah Lucky#7 7HillsVnyd/WallaWallaVlly (13.9%; http://www.K-Syrah.com; 800 cs)
2003: Black color; rather toasty/Fr.oak/charred ripe/blackberry/Syrah/blueberry light earthy
complex bit peppery/spicy nose; very intense/tannic blackberry/Syrah dusty very charred/toasty/
Fr.oak/pungent/espresso bit tarry flavor; very long tannic/extracted blackberry/blueberry/
Syrah bit Rhonish/coffee rather charred/toasty/oak finish; needs much age; some Rhonish
character; loads of charred oak but plenty of fruit underneath; terrific Syrah at a fair
price. $35.00
Syrah/ripe some roasted/espresso/mocha some toasty/charred/smokey/oak complex flavor; very
long boysenberry/blackberry/Syrah some roasted/espresso/smokey finish w/ fair tannins; needs
2-6 yrs; a terrific WashState Syrah w/ lots of Rhone character. $46.00
toasty/oak extracted some tannic flavor; long/soft/fat boysenberry/blackberry/Syrah some
burnt/charred/oak bit hot/alcoholic finish w/ some tannins; huge/huge fruit but a bit lacking
in structure. Pretty expensive. $66.00
__________________________________________________________________________________________
And the usual nonsense from the BloodyPulpit:
1. Alban Whites: These both are huge wines. The high alcohol levels were not at all bothersome for
me, though I'm pretty tolerant of alcohol. John's whites used to be loaded w/ toasty/charred/
Fr.oak. He seems to be toning that down quite a bit over the last few yrs, though. Both of
these whites I liked a lot, for that big style.
Terrific wines from a winemaker who's one of the best. I'd love to see what he could do with
Nebbiolo!!
these "grotesque" Syrah-like Pinots. I sometimes wonder if they'd whine just as loud if
they opened up a R-C or Dehlinger Syrah to accompany their mastadon steak and found it was
one of these bright/lively/vibrant Pinot-like Syrahs?? These Pinot-lovers can be such whiners.
My take on the subject is if you're opening a Pinot or Syrah from a producer/area that
you've never had before, then all bets are off and you just take your chances. It behooves
one to know the style of the producer of your Pinot or Syrah afore you start whining
about its lack of varietal typicity.
Tom
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: WTN: New Calif/WashState White&Red Rhones...(long/boring)

by Randy Buckner » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:19 pm

loads of charred oak

I take it this is not a negative character for you? K Vintners was undrinkable for me.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Nope.....

by TomHill » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:09 pm

I just took it as an expression of the terroir of the oak forests in France!!!
The oak was pretty evident, but there was enough other things in there that I really liked and the oak didn't obliterate them.
Tom
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: WTN: New Calif/WashState White&Red Rhones...(long/boring)

by Marc D » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:34 pm

The only K syrah I've tried was the 2001 'End of the Road' syrah and charred oak, blocky fruit with a cough syrup medicinal note would fit this one.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yup.....

by TomHill » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:37 pm

Had that one, too, and you pretty much sum it up. I liked it because it was pretty bizarre/idiosyncratic. I like that character in my friends...AND my wine.
Tom