Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The South Beach Diet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

The South Beach Diet

by Jenise » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:53 pm

Anyone here have luck with the diet?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

Re: The South Beach Diet

by ChefCarey » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:11 pm

Jenise wrote:Anyone here have luck with the diet?

I have trouble digesting sand and shallow pop culture.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:20 pm

Aw come on. I know you have a pile of Mariah Carey CD's in your car.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:29 pm

Yes, but then I started drinking wine! :D :?

A lot of these diets are fads. A lot have sound basis in body and blood chemistry. But ultimately, no matter what diet you're on, no matter what you eat, it comes down to a simple fact. If you ingest more calories than you burn up, you will gain weight. If you burn up more calories than you ingest, you will lose weight.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:39 pm

Jenise wrote:Aw come on. I know you have a pile of Mariah Carey CD's in your car.

Van Morrison is about as close as I get to Mariah. I do have Tannhauser with Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, though.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:17 pm

Your reply made me remember that when my son was very much younger he always asked to hear Fischer-Dishtowel. Yes, we had many of those CD's in our car for long trips.

About South Beach, pretty overblown. The diet, don't know.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:06 pm

Jenise, after my initial smart-ass answer, I will tell you this.....I lost about 8% of my body weight during the 2 week Phase 1 period. Unfortunately that was in early December and the holidays were their usual diet-buster.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:19 pm

We did have some success with it... I don't know for sure, but the body/blood chemistry part of it really seems to make sense. But we got to missing bread, pasta, potatoes so much we just fell away from it. Something that I was surprised by was the daily intake of food. You can really eat all day, if you're eating the "right" kind of stuff.

Oh, and the wine thing.... yeah, that didn't work so much either.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:01 pm

ScottD wrote:Oh, and the wine thing.... yeah, that didn't work so much either.

IIRC, white wine is described as one of the worst liquids to ingest. Red wine has some heart-beneficial aspects whereas white wine has no redeeming medical virtues.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:15 pm

IIRC, white wine is described as one of the worst liquids to ingest. Red wine has some heart-beneficial aspects whereas white wine has no redeeming medical virtues.

Not if you believe one major medical study that shows it is the alcohol itself that is beneficial -- it raises HDL cholesterol.

Other studies show red wine have antioxidants that help prevent LDL cholesterol from becoming oxidized, thus active.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:16 pm

I haven't tried it my self but I remember JBL lost about 25 pounds on it and was very happy how it worked. He's in Europe now, will be back in a couple of weeks or so. If you remind me I'll ask him to drop you an email when he gets back.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

Another way to look at it...

by Bernard Roth » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:54 am

I was born in Miami and went to South Beach a lot - long before it was known as South Beach.

I'm on the thin side, and when I was a kid I was skinny. So I guess you could say that the South Beach diet worked for me - long before it even had a name.

Actually, the best diet is eat what you like in small portions, don't eat junk between meals, and drink water or plain unsweetened tea throughout the day - not soda, not sweet drinks.

[And I mean no sweet drinks!. I am not suggesting you avoid sugar. I suggest you avoid either sugared or artificially sweetened drinks. People who feel they need a sweetener in their beverage are setting themselves up psychologically for all kinds of bad eating habits. You need to get your perspective that drinks do not have to be sweet to be satisfying. Once you do that, you can dispense with other bad eating habits. Get rid of all the artificial sweeteners in your diet and eat real food in small portions.]
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

Re: Another way to look at it...

by ChefCarey » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:18 am

Bernard Roth wrote:I was born in Miami and went to South Beach a lot - long before it was known as South Beach.

I'm on the thin side, and when I was a kid I was skinny. So I guess you could say that the South Beach diet worked for me - long before it even had a name.

Actually, the best diet is eat what you like in small portions, don't eat junk between meals, and drink water or plain unsweetened tea throughout the day - not soda, not sweet drinks.

[And I mean no sweet drinks!. I am not suggesting you avoid sugar. I suggest you avoid either sugared or artificially sweetened drinks. People who feel they need a sweetener in their beverage are setting themselves up psychologically for all kinds of bad eating habits. You need to get your perspective that drinks do not have to be sweet to be satisfying. Once you do that, you can dispense with other bad eating habits. Get rid of all the artificial sweeteners in your diet and eat real food in small portions.]

My agent once asked me if I could write a diet book. I said no, because everything I believe on that topic can be summed up in four words - eat less, move more.