The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Very Sad News

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mr. Hucko

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:41 pm

Very Sad News

by Mr. Hucko » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:23 pm

There's no gentle way to say this, and the news may be old to some, but I just learned that Rich(ard) Morgan, who used the monicker "Rich in El Lay," has died of lung cancer. Rich was an unusual guy, but he was also a fun and generous wine drinker who often bought the best wines to the party (always Burgundy). He was also, AFAIC, the source of definitive informtion on all things Burgundian, ranging from a winemake's nickname to what slope in Chambolle that particular wine came from. The cause of his death will surprise few who knew him, since he smoked like a chimney, but nonetheless he will be missed. :cry:

Bob Henry
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Very Sad News

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:38 pm

Indeed Bob, this is very sad news. I have often wondered of late where Richard had gone. I don't believe I have seen his name on a post since we migrated from the old WLDG back in November 2005, or before. We will miss him for a long long time.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:39 pm

Always sad to hear of someone you know passing---and I knew Richard only through the internet, but still...

Ironic that one of my strongest memories is his fury about smoking regulations, and how he would argue so vociferously for his right to smoke in restaurants.

He was, as you said, 'unusual', but he was an interesting guy nonetheless; one who I wish I had known a little better.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:56 pm

Thank you for telling us. I also knew Richard from the wine forums, but also had the great pleasure of meeting him, at an off-line in London a number of years ago with another former poster, Nick Alabaster.

Richard was on his way home to LA from, yet another, trip to Burgundy and had made a short stop in London. A lovely evening and, yes, Richard's contributions to the evening's festivities included two bottles of Burgundy.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:59 pm

Very sorry to hear this, I did enjoy his (opinionated) posts for years.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:16 pm

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Like you, I really liked Rich, and I looked forward every year to celebrating your birthday with him, plus all the other times we'd get together. As you said, he always brought great wine, and his food contributions were always superb. He had an excellent palate for both (even if he couldn't detect TCA). So distressting to hear this, though we heavily suspected from what you told me of the last time he visited you that something was deeply wrong.

FWIW, after you told me about that I tried various internet-available ways to track him down. I imagined him in some nursing home with no way to let his friends know where and how he was, and I pictured us bringing Listerene bottles full of Burgundy to his bedside. But of course (or you'd have been the first to know), I wasn't successful.

Dear old Richard. I was trying to decide between a burgundy and a merlot for tonight's dinner. Of course, it's decided now.

What a dear guy.

But here's a cheerful thought: wherever he is, he doesn't have to wash his hair anymore. :cry:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:44 pm

That is sad news, Hucko, but thanks for being the bearer of it. I know a lot of us old-timers remember Richard well from way back in the early CompuServe days, and more recent WLDGers will remember him for his spirited defense of the natural cork. :)

I hope he didn't suffer too badly, and he was certainly taken way too young.
no avatar
User

Mr. Hucko

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:41 pm

by Mr. Hucko » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:51 pm

Richard was 55 years old; the cancer progressed quickly, although there had been, IMO, general pre-diagnosis physical deterioration going on for awhile.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:20 pm

Terrible news, indeed.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:30 pm

Boy, that is terrible. Rich was a fun and knowledgeable guy and I'll miss him.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:17 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Indeed Bob, this is very sad news. I have often wondered of late where Richard had gone. I don't believe I have seen his name on a post since we migrated from the old WLDG back in November 2005, or before. We will miss him for a long long time.

Bob, it was long before that. Just checked because I was curious myself, and his last post on old FLDG was Dec 04, and he'd been very active up until then.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:09 pm

Thank you Jenise, I didn't quiet realize that it had been that long.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:04 pm

Sad news, indeed. I'll raise a glass to his memory.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Gregg G

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Atwater Village, CA.

by Gregg G » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:32 am

Sad news indeed. My sincere condolences to his family. I believe Rich was a fellow Angeleno. I'll always remember him for his invaluable info he shared when organizing my trip to Burgundy.
Regards,
Gregg
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:26 am

You're right, Gregg, he was. Worked in the Marina, lived in Torrance.