The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1 1/2 years laters...Ch. D'Agassac 2000

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: 1 1/2 years laters...Ch. D'Agassac 2000

by Diane (Long Island) » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:33 pm

When I opened my first bottle of this, it was coordinated with Jenise's tasting of this wine. It was in one word.....disjointed. That first bottle finally started to come together on day 3. Today, I opened my second bottle and it is more interesting with the blending of its components. It has a nose of herbs and dark fruit, and chewy, sweet flavors of licorice and plums. It has plenty of fruit, but still has lots of acidity, and some brett which interferes with my drinking pleasure. A definite improvement over the first bottle, and in need of some full flavored meat or game.
Diane
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

Re: WTN: 1 1/2 years laters...Ch. D'Agassac 2001

by Michael Pronay » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:48 am

Just as an aside: This is the first (and to my knowledge still the only) red Bordeaux offered en primeur with the choice of screwcap, starting with the 2004 vintage. (I ordered two cases each of 2004 and 2005, at EUR 9.75 and 11.60/bt. plus VAT.)
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:01 am

Hi Diane,

Isn't this one of the properties that is vying to become a Margaux? Any perfume and earth juxtaposition?

I notice that you drink a lot of Bordeaux young, even though D'Agassac is supposed to be consumed in the first decade of life. Is this your preference, or do you talk about them more than mature ones because of the thrill of initial discovery?

I have a confession to make to you. I once said I would bring down a bottle of 1996 Ducru to drink with you and your husband on one of my trips to Long Island, because you wanted to try one. I really planned to do it, but every time I got close to a trip, I cringed at the idea of infanticide. Couldn't bring myself to do it, so I just didn't. Then I read where you got to drink one and felt better.

Not that you would believe anything I said at this point, but I would love to bring one down in ten years or fifteen years.

Covert
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:26 pm

The wine was the 2000 vintage. I apologize for the mistake.
Diane
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:41 pm

Michael Pronay wrote:Just as an aside: This is the first (and to my knowledge still the only) red Bordeaux offered en primeur with the choice of screwcap, starting with the 2004 vintage. (I ordered two cases each of 2004 and 2005, at EUR 9.75 and 11.60/bt. plus VAT.)

Michael--screwcap! Good for them.

Diane--I'm amazed. Our first bottles of this wine smelled like a garbage bin that was overdue for emptying. Would hardly have believed that good could come from that!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:43 pm

Diane (Long Island) wrote:The wine was the 2000 vintage. I apologize for the mistake.

I'll fix the title for you.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:51 pm

Covert - first of all, please note that I made a correction to the vintage of this wine. Initially, I typed in 2003 and noticed that just before I hit "submit." However, I then mistakenly typed in 2001 and actually thought that looked right. One would think I finished that whole bottle just before typing my notes. Not so...but I don't know what I was thinking. Anyhow, I was anxious to try this 2000 once again. I've been hearing that these minor league Bordeaux are drinking well now. The tannins were soft, but I think this bottle was hit with a large dose of brett. I don't mind a little barnyard, but this was a bit much or me. The funny thing is, Covert, that while I was drinking this, I thought that you probably would have appreciated it more than I.

I left the bottle on the counter last night, and when my husband arrived home from the Yankee game, he poured himself a glass. His comment was that he would have preferred the 1997 Cal cab from the night before...and that is why I don't have a chance to drink a lot of older Bordeaux. He likes more fruit in his wine.

As far as your 1996 Ducru....could I suggest you change the time frame to 5-10 years? Either way, it's nice to have something to look forward to.
Diane
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:53 pm

Jenise - at first sip, I thought "wow, fruit, acidity, soft tannins - very nice."

I have one more bottle and I don't think I will wait another year and a half.
Diane
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:22 pm

Diane, brett in a 2000! That's something. Now I will have to find a bottle of the 2000 D'Agassac just to see if your bottle was a fluke or if the brett is systemic. As you say, I would probably like it.

Okay, 5 to 10. The main reason I travel to Long Island is to see my father. While he is still running several miles every other day, he is 87 and anything can happen at that stage of the game.