The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Holiday Champagne suggestions?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Holiday Champagne suggestions?

by Dale Williams » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:54 pm

wrcstl wrote:You got my curiosity up so I went to Therapy. Now they know how to handle a spammer, an agressive group.
Walt

Actually, I don't frequent there, but your comment sent me back. Sure, there were a few FUs, but then "Nicole" explained she was really looking for advice, and they calmed down and kept her thread near top. But what I can't figure is if Nicole REALLY wanted to know about the lamb matching, and not just plugging the video, she didn't ask her question here?
I'm guessing her little scam got quite a few people to visit that site.
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm

NY

by Jacques Levy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:12 pm

RichardAtkinson wrote:We served the Nicolas Feuillatte Rose (read about here) last year and everyone loved it. Any more reccos in the $35.00-50.00 range?

I think it really depends what you want in Champagne. I usually get a massive headache after 2-3 glasses and have now decided to stay with the light refreshing offerings as opposed to the structured, well crafted, "can stand up to any spicy food" bottles. Duval Leroy floats my boat, as well as Tattinger or Pol Roger. If you prefer something more substantial; I would second Dale and go with the Godme Rose.
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:46 am

I'm in love with a girl. Her name is Philipponnat Royale Reserve Brut NV.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:50 am

Soorry it took me so long to get back here. Thanks for all the recommendations folks.

Richard
no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:20 am

by Nathan Smyth » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:00 am

Dale Williams wrote:
Nathan Smyth wrote:Has anyone tried the Mumm de Cramant yet?

I keep hearing about it, and it's really got me curious.

Hearing about it indeed - Potential Parker 100-Point Champagne! Now there's hype bordering on outright dishonesty, as Parker threw no points out. But sheep that bite deserve it.

I've thought it a tasty Champagne before, on the fuller side but not very leesy/yeasty, but nothing that "rocked my world." As it is marketed as NV of course my impressions from 3 years ago may not match current batch.

Well I finally got a chance to taste it today, and it is very, very nice juice.

But it surprised me - it's got a sharp, cutting bite to it, and it's steely [bordering on metallic] with piercing minerality - rockheads should love it.

On the other hand, I would not have thought that it would be a style which Monkton would laud - go figure.

I'd be surprised if there's a better champagne at that price point anywhere in the marketplace today [although I don't pretend to be any kinduva champagne expert].

I'm broke, but my brother was with me, and he purchased a bunch of it.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:47 am

Duval-Leroy
Michel Turgy
Regards,