Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Trend alert: The new way to chiffonade basil!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Trend alert: The new way to chiffonade basil!

by Jenise » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:03 pm

While on hold for a Customer Service Rep with my local cable company, I entertained myself by flipping on the Food Channel. Joy of joys, I tuned in just in time to Sandra Lee demonstrate how to chiffonade fresh basil---ONE LEAF AT A TIME!

All of you who make a neat stack and roll them up like a cigar? Stop it, that's all wrong.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Trend alert: The new way to chiffonade basil!

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:53 am

Ms. Plastic Titties really seems to get your goat.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:06 am

I don't have a goat.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:47 pm

That's OK, I don't have plastic titties.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:23 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Ms. Plastic Titties really seems to get your goat.

Does she use them in the cooking/prep process? I've never seen her. Can she spin them around? Are they prehensile?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:56 pm

If by "prehensile" you mean, "threatening to do damage to her knees if her bra comes undone, " then yes.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:57 pm

Do they wobble to and fro?

Can she throw them over her shoulder like a Continental soldier?

Never mind.

Jeff
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:36 am

She can tie em in a knot, she can tie em in a bow.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:06 pm

Jenise wrote: I tuned in just in time to Sandra Lee demonstrate how to chiffonade fresh basil---ONE LEAF AT A TIME!

All of you who make a neat stack and roll them up like a cigar? Stop it, that's all wrong.

I thought it was wrong to cut basil at all. Doesn't it have to be torn by hand to preserve the true basil flavour - as when cutting with a knife (or whatever) don't you lose some of those essential oils?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:07 pm

One thing for sure Sue...if one teasr basil by hand, one's hands smell great the rest of the day! :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:22 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:
Jenise wrote: I tuned in just in time to Sandra Lee demonstrate how to chiffonade fresh basil---ONE LEAF AT A TIME!

I thought it was wrong to cut basil at all. Doesn't it have to be torn by hand to preserve the true basil flavour - as when cutting with a knife (or whatever) don't you lose some of those essential oils?

Where would the oils go? Oz? I think all this no-cutting stuff (salad greens etc) comes from an era when we all worked with carbon steel knives - which reacted with many foodstuffs. Now that we have the high carbon content stainless knives there is no problem that I see. If you can cut.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:05 pm

ChefCarey wrote:Where would the oils go? Oz? I think all this no-cutting stuff (salad greens etc) comes from an era when we all worked with carbon steel knives - which reacted with many foodstuffs. Now that we have the high carbon content stainless knives there is no problem that I see. If you can cut.

I think the idea is that cutting with a knife slices right through the cells of the plant, whereas tearing will leave more of them intact, thus resulting in fewer ruptured cells and less loss of essential oils (which evaporate redily), less exposure of cell contents to atmospheric oxygen, etc.

I have my doubts concerning that theory. I like yours (reactive vs. stainless knives) better.

Regarding slicing basil leaves individually vs. stacking them, it sounds like a wonderful way to waste a lot of time without any real benefit to the final dish. In fact, since it's bound to take about 10 times longer to cut up the basil that way, it is actually detrimental, since it means those first leaves sit around, losing their essential oils the whole time, for a lot longer.

-Paul W.