The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 03 Pegau and a 00 Boursan

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 03 Pegau and a 00 Boursan

by Redwinger » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:48 am

It was a slow day at the shop yesterday what with the rain and generally crappy weather. We decided to pop the cork on a bottle of 2003 Pegau Reservee and I must admit that I was somewhat disappointed given the god-like personna that this wine has assumed in certain internet circles. Not a bad wine by a longshot, but I had some difficulty with the ripeness/alcohol/porty qualities which dominated. I probably have more Pegau in my cellar than anyother CdP producer, but the 2003 probably will not be a purchase for me.

Next up was the 2000 Boursan regular bottling. This was much more to my liking. Not shut-down at all. Good balance and lot more finese than the in-your-face Pegau. Not a lot of secondary characteristics at this point, but I'm sure they will develop over the next few years. This producer doesn't get a lot of hype, but the more I try their wines the more I'm impressed with their efforts. This is $30 less than the Pegau and a few bottles will find their way to Casa Redwinger.

Redwinger

Disclaimer: I sell these wines to people
Last edited by Redwinger on Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 03 Pegau and a 00 Boursan

by Jenise » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:11 am

Don't you love it when you like the less expensive wine better? Haven't had a Bousan yet--sounds like a name to put on my list of Rhone producers to try.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:15 am

Jenise wrote:Don't you love it when you like the less expensive wine better? Haven't had a Bousan yet--sounds like a name to put on my list of Rhone producers to try.

Sorry about the typo. It is Boursan. I'll attempt to edit the original post.
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:47 am

I also sell this wine and have found it is one of the best values in CDP. The first time I tried this wine in the 1998 vintage it was outstanding. I found that the blend is usually 65% Grenache, and 15% each Syrah and Mourvedre. The 5% balance is just field blend. The '03 sells for $35 here.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:22 pm

Redwinger wrote:It was a slow day at the shop yesterday what with the rain and generally crappy weather. We decided to pop the cork on a bottle of 2003 Pegau Reservee and I must admit that I was somewhat disappointed given the god-like personna that this wine has assumed in certain internet circles. Not a bad wine by a longshot, but I had some difficulty with the ripeness/alcohol/porty qualities which dominated. I probably have more Pegau in my cellar than anyother CdP producer, but the 2003 probably will not be a purchase for me.

Next up was the 2000 Boursan regular bottling. This was much more to my liking.

Thanks for taking one for the team, rw. I've resisted the urge to buy any '03 CdP, despite the hype applied by J et R's rep at a tasting last year. I too am a huge fan of Pegau (ever since seeing Laurence put on a dress to come give us a tour years ago :lol: ) -- though price creep may put an end to that dalliance -- but even that isn't enough to get me to spring for the '03, especially with the '04s now on the horizon. And, yes, Bois de Boursan is an especially good bargain nowadays in a region that's getting pricier by the hour.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:06 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Thanks for taking one for the team,...

Mark,
It's easy being a team player when I'm tasting wines on someone else's nickel.
Bill
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:31 pm

I have a few of the 2001 Boursan, and the one bottle I tried was very nice. Thanks for the note on the 2000.
Diane
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:18 pm

Hey Curly, I have a couple of those '03 Pegaus stashed, but I'm probably gonna let them rest for at least a few years, so thanks for the feedback. As for Boursan, you probably already know how much I love those puppies!

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: Iron Shemp
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:19 am

Just for as another reference point, here's my note from 15.3.2006: Pegaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Reservée 2003
I was fully prepared to hate 2003 Rhones. But the scent of this is fantastic: shit. Lots of it. Almost Musary amounts of it!!! Of course there is the typical CdP garrigue and typical Grenache strawberry fruit. The warm year didn't manage to destroy these attributes obviously.

The palate however was not at all as successful. The fruit was overly sweet, the tannins rather harsh and the acidity didn't back the other elements up. Unbalanced. Will it come together - I have absolutely no idea, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. Lovely nose, so and so palate. By no means was this the sort of disaster as anticipated.

I don't plan on buying any 2003s from what I've tasted so far.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:47 am

geo t. wrote:Hey Curly, I have a couple of those '03 Pegaus stashed, but I'm probably gonna let them rest for at least a few years, ...:

Shemp,
Good strategy. If I was holding any, that is exactly what I would do with them. Hope all is well with youze guys
Curly
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:02 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:Just for as another reference point, here's my note from 15.3.2006: Pegaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Reservée 2003
I was fully prepared to hate 2003 Rhones. But the scent of this is fantastic: shit. Lots of it. Almost Musary amounts of it!!! Of course there is the typical CdP garrigue and typical Grenache strawberry fruit. The warm year didn't manage to destroy these attributes obviously.

The palate however was not at all as successful. The fruit was overly sweet, the tannins rather harsh and the acidity didn't back the other elements up. Unbalanced. Will it come together - I have absolutely no idea, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. Lovely nose, so and so palate. By no means was this the sort of disaster as anticipated.

Otto,
Thanks for providing your perspective on the Pegau. While the bottle I tasted did not show as much "character" as yours on the nose, I think our bottomline assessment of the wine is pretty well in-synch.
Bill
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:32 am

I don't plan on buying any 2003s based on what you've tasted either. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Gregg G

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Atwater Village, CA.

by Gregg G » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:08 am

Out of curiosity, how long did you decant the Pegau, if at all?

I've now had this wine 3 times. It's growing on me. I also wrote off the '03s save for the Les Cailloux and Pegau. I'm in agreement that extended cellaring is the only way to go. There is a method to this madness. Of the many 03s I've tried, the Pegau, #1 tastes like Pegau & #2, after extended air it shows balance. I did not get the heat from the alc, rather the ripeness of the vintage and the alc, imho, combine to show more sweetness than normal, yet I find enough structure to hold this wine together. No doubt this wine is in the high 15% maybe 16%. Hey, I look at it as an experiment. I'm gambling on a few CdPs, 2 Burgs and 2 Bords. I passed on everything else.
Regards,
Gregg
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:00 pm

Gregg G wrote:Out of curiosity, how long did you decant the Pegau, if at all?

Greg,
Not decanted, but my very generous pour was sampled from a stem over the course of 2.5 to 3 hours which included a number of vigorous episodes of swirlitude.

BP
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:58 pm

Bill, what is the price of these two wines there? I haven't seen the 2003 Pegau here in Lexington, but would think it is now above $50. I see the 99 Boursan here for $30 and that is probably a decent price. I suspect the high end Boursan (Cuvee Felix?) is about $150 for the 03.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:04 pm

The price on the 2003 Cuvee Felix is about half of that. I bought some at $40 per a few months ago, but I think the price is more in the $60-75 range.
Diane
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:07 pm

WOW Diane, the 99 is $60 here and the 2000 is $75, haven't seen 01 or 02 yet. What would the price for the regular Boursan run on LI?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:14 pm

Bob - can you have wine shipped to you from out of state? A quick search showed that Premier Cru in California is still selling the 2003 Felix for $39.95. That's about the same price that some local stores are selling the basic Boursan.
Diane
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:34 pm

Diane, Kentucky is a felony state, some sellers will ship and others won't. Generally I don't try it much. Thanks.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:05 am

Bob Henrick wrote:Bill, what is the price of these two wines there? I haven't seen the 2003 Pegau here in Lexington, but would think it is now above $50. I see the 99 Boursan here for $30 and that is probably a decent price. I suspect the high end Boursan (Cuvee Felix?) is about $150 for the 03.

Bob,
See your PMs
BP