The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Meßmer rocks! QPR Winners!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Meßmer rocks! QPR Winners!

by Saina » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:17 pm

These are from Pfalz and are cheap but really nice! The Portuguieser was the weakest of the bunch, but was still a wine I would gladly drink again.

• 2001 Meßmer Spätburgunder Weissherbst Auslese - Germany, Pfalz (6/11/2006) ½ bottle; 12,0 GBPounds
    Orange/pink. A lovey nose of carrots and botrytis or something that deceptively smells like rot. The palate is very sweet and intense, with nice supporting acidity. Great length. Very good!
  • 2003 Meßmer Portugieser Weissherbst - Germany, Pfalz (6/11/2006) 1,0 litre 6,0 GBP
    A simple, but pleasant, nose of strawberry, earth and wet rock. The palate is sweetly fruity, with decent balancing acidity. Not anything special, but a fine rosé! For the price I payed, very good!
  • 2004 Meßmer Muskateller Kabinett - Germany, Pfalz (6/11/2006) 7,0 GBP
    Very light gold, greenish. The nose is lovely: pungently mineral, with the typical grape and grapefruit scents of the variety. The palate is also fairly dry, mineral, with lovely ripe acidity backing it up. The aftertaste is long and has a delightful mineral water component. Lovely stuff!

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Meßmer rocks! QPR Winners!

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:16 pm

Meßmer is a favorite producer, but in the USA there is very little QPR to be had except for the liter bottlings. I love Meßmer's Gewurztraminer (best in Germany IMO) and Rieslaner, as we ll as the Muscat. I don't buy the Rieslings (again, except for the liters) because they are $$ here.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:08 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Meßmer is a favorite producer, but in the USA there is very little QPR to be had except for the liter bottlings. I love Meßmer's Gewurztraminer (best in Germany IMO) and Rieslaner, as we ll as the Muscat. I don't buy the Rieslings (again, except for the liters) because they are $$ here.

I haven't had the Gewurz nor the Rieslaner but the Muscat is a favourite of mine. But I think their wonders - though perhaps out of the QPR range - are their pink dessert wines! This actually smelled of Pinot Noir! How much do they cost on that side of the pond?

Oh, and since the Germans renewed their spelling, why isn't it Messmer nowadays? Are names not included in the reforms?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:30 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Meßmer is a favorite producer, but in the USA there is very little QPR to be had except for the liter bottlings. I love Meßmer's Gewurztraminer (best in Germany IMO) and Rieslaner, as we ll as the Muscat. I don't buy the Rieslings (again, except for the liters) because they are $$ here.

I haven't had the Gewurz nor the Rieslaner but the Muscat is a favourite of mine. But I think their wonders - though perhaps out of the QPR range - are their pink dessert wines! This actually smelled of Pinot Noir! How much do they cost on that side of the pond?

Oh, and since the Germans renewed their spelling, why isn't it Messmer nowadays? Are names not included in the reforms?

I have not seen the pink dessert wines here yet.

As for the name, perhaps they had some old labels to use up. I am still seeing the ß on a lot of labels.
Decisions are made by those who show up