The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Google Earth and wineries. Wine Lovers Page project?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Google Earth and wineries. Wine Lovers Page project?

by Bob Ross » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:22 am

I've been having a ball finding wineries in the US and France using Google Earth. It might be fun to put together a list of wineries and their longitude and latitude so that they can be found by wine lovers. Might even be a nice addition to the Wine Lovers Page. [What do you think, Robin?]

Now, I find a nearby city -- say Napa -- and then "fly" up the road a piece to find say Mondavi. Adds a bit of spice to drinking one of his wines. Same in Bordeaux -- the French maps are really quite good, especially in Bordeaux, where the photos seem to have been taken in the winter.

Google Earth says this is what they need to make the search work:

What latitude and longitude formats can I use in Google Earth?

We currently support two input formats for GPS coordinates: DDD (decimal degrees) and DMS (using the 37 degrees 3' 43.22" syntax). Also, please note that the coordinates will only be accepted in latitude and longitude pairs and not vice versa. You can also reference the Fly To tab for acceptable examples of formats for latitude and longitude. Different examples of input show each time you switch tabs in the search area.

Any interest? I'd be glad to work on the project.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Google Earth and wineries. Wine Lovers Page project?

by James Roscoe » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:52 pm

Bob,
I'm technology challenged when it comes to this kind of thing. Can I just put in an address? Or do I have to put in the coordinates?
Cheers!
James
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:58 pm

Too bad you didn't post this last week. Robin had a free GPS with his car rental while visiting wineries during NiagaraCOOL this past weekend. He was like a kid with a new toy wouldn't let me give him directions. :?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:10 pm

You can use addresses as well, James -- but that's tougher in France from what I've found. The US addresses work just fine, although sometimes it's fun to locate vineyards that are not close to the winery itself.

Beringer is at 2000 Main Street, St. Helena, CA, and that would work just as well as the map co-ordinates.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:15 pm

Those GPS devices are great fun, Howie. I do a bit of orienteering and we've been forced to forbid their use -- or at least reduce the "finess" of the search. But, on a long hike, it's fun to see how the numbers move.

I'm with Robin - in a car I love using the mapping even if I know darn well how to get where I'm going. And, another aspect of my childish character, intentionally going in a different direction than the device suggests. Eventually it will give up with the U-turn business and come with a different route, perhaps the one I've chosen.

Regards, and so sorry not to be able to join you folks -- it looked like a great event thanks to all your efforts.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:52 pm

Bob Ross wrote:I've been having a ball finding wineries in the US and France using Google Earth. It might be fun to put together a list of wineries and their longitude and latitude so that they can be found by wine lovers. Might even be a nice addition to the Wine Lovers Page. [What do you think, Robin?]

Now, I find a nearby city -- say Napa -- and then "fly" up the road a piece to find say Mondavi. Adds a bit of spice to drinking one of his wines. Same in Bordeaux -- the French maps are really quite good, especially in Bordeaux, where the photos seem to have been taken in the winter.

Google Earth says this is what they need to make the search work:

What latitude and longitude formats can I use in Google Earth?

We currently support two input formats for GPS coordinates: DDD (decimal degrees) and DMS (using the 37 degrees 3' 43.22" syntax). Also, please note that the coordinates will only be accepted in latitude and longitude pairs and not vice versa. You can also reference the Fly To tab for acceptable examples of formats for latitude and longitude. Different examples of input show each time you switch tabs in the search area.

Any interest? I'd be glad to work on the project.

Regards, Bob

Great idea, Bob. I'd be happy to support it, the only issue being time pressure for me. I'll be glad to give the project a home and do what I can, but it's hard to commit much of my time.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:10 pm

Thanks, Robin. I'll put something together. Any thoughts on Google Earth itself? There's a "pro" version as well as the free version -- my initial impression is the free version works fine for this application.

But we would need to have a description of how it works and a link to the Google Earth software. Any concerns/opportunities in that area?

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: You can fly

by Bob Ross » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:13 pm

Both ways are fun, Randy. I do like wandering by my nature, but without some sort of name for the chateau on the map, it's hard for me to recognize the site.

Much easier in Napa along Route 29, but the Russian River Valley is baffling.

I like the idea of having a wine route set up though. Thanks for the idea and the coordinates.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:28 pm

Bob,
I downloaded it to my home computer, (can't do it at work) and I noticed the picture of my neighborhood is several years out of date. They also have my address at the wrong house. Are there other bugs in the system?
Cheers
James
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:40 pm

That sort of thing happens quite a bit, James. The photo of our property was taken four years ago, and the address is for a house a quarter a mile away from the actual location.

The second problem is a problem with all the locating programs in our particular case -- Mapquest and the various mapping programs on a number of cars show the same incorrect location.

And, of course, some areas aren't photographed at all.

Nonetheless, it's a fascinating program to play with.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:43 pm

It is fascinating. My wife and I were sitting here for half an hour trying to find her parents' house on the Allegheny River upstream from Pittsburgh. We couldn't quite get it, but it was fun. I like your idea.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:18 pm

Orienteering with GPS? Bob, what happened to maps and compass, sun angle and star sightings? :wink:
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:19 am

Can you believe it Bill, there was a great debate in the local group. Made some of the wine flame wars look tame. Big schism.

One group lets people use GPS devices -- the whole idea is strategy, speed, enhance the strategic decisions -- better to go straight line up and down a valley, or go longer but save elevation. Good intellectual stuff.

Another group is sorry for that little bit of lost treasure hunt element -- a bit of chance that evens the game a bit for weaker players.

I've competed with both groups -- still fun, but more competitors = more fun. At least for me. The GPS has meant smaller competitions and less fun. At least for me.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:29 am

There seem to be some folks working on a variety approaches to finding wine regions and wineries using Google Earth through various user groups. The most comprehensive wine region effort can be found at

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded ... age/0/vc/1

There are commercial packages available for 2000 Australia wineries and 300 wineries in Tasmania. There's also a claim that there is a similar database for all US wineries, but I haven't found it on the blog that touts it.

Often these are sold for GPS devices in cars or portable GPS devices.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

D. Updike

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu May 04, 2006 4:34 pm

Buffalo

by D. Updike » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:22 pm

Red Newt Winery from the Finger Lakes has some vineyard maps. Pretty cool!

http://www.rednewt.com/vm/component/opt ... temid,123/
Dan Updike
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:02 pm

Thanks for the note, D. They did a really nice job, didn't they.

There are quite a few nice ones online now -- I'll post a few of my favorites in this thread.