The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Newbie needs help with dry Chenin Blanc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sheila Duncan

Rank

Just got here

Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:40 pm

Newbie needs help with dry Chenin Blanc

by Sheila Duncan » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:51 pm

Hi, I'm new here. Joined because I have a dilemma. A friend from France is coming to visit, and I asked her what she'd like to drink while here. She graciously said that she does drink American wines, and mentioned a dry Chenin Blanc that she enjoyed. I've been fussing around online and found some info on a Dry Creek Vineyards Chenin Blanc. No go--none in my neighborhood (Atlanta, y'all). So, anybody got any dry American whites made from French grapes that they'd like to recommend? I say French grapestock because I'd like to be courteous, not because she said anything about that. And before you ask, I did email Dry Creek and called their distributor, who was very nice and pointed out that I can drive for 45 minutes to get a bottle. That's not happenin', folks. Many thanks, guys. Sheila
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Newbie needs help with dry Chenin Blanc

by James Roscoe » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:56 pm

Welcome to the forum Sheila. While I can't give you help with the wine I'm sure plenty of people will pipe in. Do you have a reputable wine store in the area? I would ask there.
Cheers!
James R.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:04 pm

You could look for Vinum Cellars CNW (Chard? No Way!).

It's a dry Chenin Blanc from the same area that Dry Creek Vineyards sources their fruit. And it's not expensive. Ask for that and see what happens.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:10 pm

Lots of US producers make a chenin, eg., Beringer, Bogle, Hogue Cellars, etc. But I would actually recommend the one from Chappellet; not on a par with good Savennieres, but certainly better than most domestic versions.
It is distributed in the Atlanta area.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Sheila Duncan

Rank

Just got here

by Sheila Duncan » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:24 pm

Wow, thanks for the quick responses, y'all. I've made a few notes and will hit the local wine stores tomorrow. There are two or three that I think have decent stock. I did open a bottle of Beringer last night, Jim, and I think it's a bit sweet--in fact I couldn't finish the glass, and am using the rest of the bottle to make a dessert tonight. Many thanks, Sheila
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:12 pm

Agree on the Chappellet... very nice Chenin Blanc.. Beverages and More usually carries it if there is one near you.. and the price is good.. $13ish...
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:46 pm

Sheila,

In addition to the Dry Creek, two California chenins I'm familiar with that I'd recommend are the Chappellet and Vinum. Vastly different styles, both good. I'd also recommend several that are in the marketplace from South Africa, a country with a strong soft spot for chenin--Ken Forrester's Petite Chenin, is one I've had and liked.

Jenise
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:50 pm

Welcome to the board!

As you've found, the distribution of all but the biggest brands is so hit-or-miss that making any specific recommendation will be difficult. However, I would add Weinstock's "Contour," a very slightly sweet (far drier than the Beringer you had) wine. However, any reputable wine shop would be able to tell you if any of the chenin blancs they have are dry. If you're on your own, one clue might be the alcohol percentage listed on the bottle. If it's less than 12.5%, the wine is almost certainly semi-sweet to sweet. The Beringer, for example. is 12.5% alcohol and still pretty sweet. My other suggestion would be to look for chenin blancs that don't carry the unspecific "California" appellation, but rather someplace specific like "Dry Creek" or "Napa Valley."

Good luck, and if you don't find anything, you might consider a sauvignon blanc, pinot gris, or pinot blanc from someplace cool like Mendocino County. They are likely to be dry, and somewhat similar in style.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Sheila Duncan

Rank

Just got here

Love this forum

by Sheila Duncan » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:38 pm

You guys have been so very helpful, and so rapidly. I now have a nice list of possibles, as well as questions to ask of each store's wine guru. You have given me the sort of information I was hoping for: specific wines you've had, and alternative wines to try. Couldn't ask for more. This place rocks!
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

Re: Love this forum

by ClarkDGigHbr » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:03 am

If you can purchase outside the USA border, try looking for some nice South African Chenin Blanc. Two I've tried in the past few months are very good quality and dry:
    Fairvalley: Pale color, with full aroma; crisp taste of fruit and minerals on the palate. Very good value at $8.
    Mulderbosch: Bright fruit with wonderful complexity and a flinty finish. A lovely wine at $15.

-- Clark