The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Domaine Sorin Côtes de Provence Terra Amata Rose

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

WTN: 2005 Domaine Sorin Côtes de Provence Terra Amata Rose

by wnissen » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:51 pm

2005 Domaine Sorin Côtes de Provence Terra Amata - France, Provence, Côtes de Provence (6/12/2006)

$10 at K&L Wines, 12.5%. Unfiltered, unfined, and topped with wax. Pale pink (my picture makes it look darker than it is) there is a slight deposit of lees at the bottom. Quiet nose of strawberries and watermelon, light as a feather with just enough balancing acid, and gets much better as it warms. Perfect for a party. Good+.

Posted from CellarTracker

I'm getting into the roses a little late this year, but the above wine is a little gem.

Walt
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: TN: 2005 Domaine Sorin Côtes de Provence Terra Amata Rose

by Marc D » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:21 pm

Thanks for the note, Walt. This is the second positive recommendation for the Sorin rose I've read. The price looks pretty good too, especially compared to the Bandol roses. The most interesting thing is how you liked it better as it warmed. Some of the southern pinks show more of their alcohol as they warm up.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:34 pm

Marc,

I know what you mean, the average southern French rose has too much alcohol and too little acid for my taste. I've had better luck with Coteaux de Provence than with Cotes du Rhone or Vin de Pays d'Oc, which seem to consistently be "hotter" wines. If you've got any to recommend, please post!

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:38 pm

Walt, a few weeks ago I tried 3 2005 dry roses from France, side by side. They were all very good.

2005 Dom de Fontsaint Gris de Gris rosé $12
2005 Ch Revelette Coteaux d'Aix en Provence rosé $12
2005 Commanderie de Peyrassol Cotes de Provence rosé $20

My favorite was the Commanderie de Peyrassol. It was pale salmon onion skin color, lovely balance, and a little orange peel mixed with the red fruit flavor. I would be happy to drink this all summer alternating with a cab franc rose for a change of pace. It was more money but worth it. Bob Ross posted a TN on this wine recently I believe.

The 05 Fontsainte was also very very drinkable, more shocking pink in color and a little less aromatic than the Peyrassol. The Revelette was very dry and little more austere than the other 2, good flavor and finished a little hot as it warmed.

Best,
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:42 pm

The way you tell it, the Commanderie de Peyrassol almost sounds like it's worth twenty bucks. I see that it's also a K&L Wines "top pick," and that they have it for $16. More than I usually spend on a rose, but worth a look. Thanks.

Walt
Walter Nissen