The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Saar 2005 - where were you when...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

Saar 2005 - where were you when...

by Peter Ruhrberg » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:53 am

After tasting through a good part of Zilliken's 2005 range, the professor expressed the feeling we had like this: when our grandchildren ask us where were you when Zilliken unveiled his 2005 collection I can say I was right there at his table, tasting these legendary wines just befor bottling, straight from the cellar...
I'm still kindof speechless over what I saw. There is no Saar vintage in history that we know of that can compare to the Saar's 2005. At least Zilliken cann't think of one, and obviously neither can I. He made a bit of QbA and Kabinett, all of which ismade mostly from Auslese must. Then, he made

Spätlese (reglar & Auction)
Auslese (reglar & Auction)
Auslese GK (reglar & Auction)
Auslese LGK (reglar & Auction)
Beerenauslese (reglar & Auction)
Trockenbeerenauslese (reglar & Auction)

and not just a few bottles here and there. No, whole fuders of GKA and LGKA and such, enough to last for a long long time...
What happened was that the grapes were perfectly ripe, aromatic, and well balanced, when bortrytis set in, and warm dry wheather, which dehydrated the grapes much faster than the assimilation could reduce the acids. The result are fuders over fuders of hyperconcentrated juice, with unprecedented sugar and acid readings, producing wines that will outlive us all. The regular GKA for example would be enough reason to praise the 05 vintage as a great one. THe balance and concentration reminds one of ice wine supercharged Auslesen, but there is no ice wine in this at all. It is a great Saar wine, yet here it is almost the entry level. We tasted the "regular" wines up to TBA, plus the auction TBA. Those look like immortal wines to me. What can time possible to to them? Maybe I live to see the GKA reach its peak, but what shall I drink in the meantime, I wonder?

Peter
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Saar 2005 - where were you when...

by David M. Bueker » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:37 am

Very interesting. Time to make some cellar space. Sigh...
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:52 am

There is no Saar vintage in history that we know of that can compare to the Saar's 2005. At least Zilliken cann't think of one, and obviously neither can I.

This is good news. I have not purchased any German wines for a while. Looks like I need to keep my eye on 2005s from the M-S-R. Thanks for the note on the Zilliken wines -- I have several older ones in the cellar.
no avatar
User

Arnt Egil Nordlien

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:49 pm

Oslo

by Arnt Egil Nordlien » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:21 pm

Hi Peter, thanks for the report. This sound great indeed. Guess I have to spend some time in Saar this summer then :)).
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:04 pm

Thanks Peter,

I, too, will try and seek some out. I've enjoyed Zilliken's Saarburger Rausch Spatlese and Auslese for many years now.

Do you know when will they be released onto the market? TIA.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:27 pm

Peter,
Thanks for this report! Can you say anything more about the merit of the lower end wines, such as regular Kabinett and Spatlese.
Thanks,
Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:39 pm

Great news! The Saar is IMO the most expressive and interesting part of the MSR and I'm happy the '05's have such huge potential.

Prost!
-Bill
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:04 am

Thanks for the report Peter!
Tuesday and Wednesday his week I also tasted German 2005 wines, from the Rheingau, at Eser(Johannishof), Spreitzer, Breuer and Leitz. Most of the wines were really fine, also here. A vintage to collect indeed.
Cheers, Anders
no avatar
User

JeanF

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:04 pm

by JeanF » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:50 pm

Hi Peter,

Sorry I couldn't be there - I will taste the whole range in June I guess.

Are they also enjoyable, or just impressive wines?

How was Grünhaus?

Cheers,

Jean
www.moselfinewines.com
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:09 am

Charles Weiss wrote:Peter,
Thanks for this report! Can you say anything more about the merit of the lower end wines, such as regular Kabinett and Spatlese.
Thanks,
Charles

Hi Charles,
our tasting started with the regular Auslese, after the semi dry "Butterfly". I cann't comment of the Kabinett and Spl thus. The "Butterfly" was very substantial to my taste with good minarality. I would expect the Kabinett to be untypical (Auslese must weight) for its predicate. This probably applies to manay MSR Kabinetts from 2005...

Peter
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:16 am

The Fish wrote:Hi Peter,
Are they also enjoyable, or just impressive wines?

How was Grünhaus?

Too concentrated to be enjoayble now, mostly. Too much acid for Phillips stomach too... Seriously, I did love the regular GKA but even there, I guess I could not drink much of it now. Others can maybe bear more impact on their palates than I can. I would regard the wines essentially as wines for cellaring. 20 years min for LGKA and above.

I did not taste Grünhaus, and the reports were a bit sparse. Appearenly, there was not much to be tasted yet. I'm hopeful...

Peter
no avatar
User

JeanF

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:04 pm

by JeanF » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:20 am

Peter Ruhrberg wrote:I did not taste Grünhaus, and the reports were a bit sparse. Appearenly, there was not much to be tasted yet. I'm hopeful...

Thanks - this is good news that there is not much to taste - means he didn't touch the yeasts yet. He will have brought some wines to Prowein, so I'll get some report from there.

Thanks for the advanced notice at Zilliken - I will make my reservations already now.
www.moselfinewines.com
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:01 am

The Fish wrote:Thanks for the advanced notice at Zilliken - I will make my reservations already now.

The good news is that there is so much of GKA/LGKA/BA/TBA that one can be quite relaxed about reservations. I think he will not run out for yeras to come...

Peter
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Thanks for the notes on Zilliken

by JC (NC) » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:45 pm

I had my first Zilliken Saarburger Rausch just recently and was very pleased with it. I will look forward to purchasing some of the 2005 Auslese and will make certain that the owner of my usual retail source for wines is aware of their potential.