The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wordless Tasting Notes - the Evolution pt. 1

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

WTN: Wordless Tasting Notes - the Evolution pt. 1

by JoePerry » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:06 am

I’ve heard it said that a picture is worth a thousand words. Given that my tasting notes usually draw themselves out into an epic saga, I have decided to cut down my writing time by using images instead of text to describe my wine impressions. I’m sure this will add to the consternation of “serious” wine geeks and moderators across the wine internet, but I’ve made up my mind. There might come a time in the near future where I will switch back to the written word, but for now, I find this to be a perfectly acceptable alternative.

For my first installment in pictorial tasting notes, these wines were consumed at Jimmy’s Café this past week. In attendance were my lovely wife, Mike Lawton, his lovely wife, their lovely daughter, Dan McQ, PMAC, and myself. If you live in Massachusetts and have never been to Jimmy’s Café in Wellesley, it deserves a trip. The menu at Jimmy’s is trapped within an endless loop, never changing, but the dishes are solid fine dining for short money.

NV Larmandier-Bernier 1er Cru:

2001 Clemens Busch Riesling Trocken:

2004 Romain Guiberteau Saumur Blanc:

2001 Sella “Lessona”:

2002 Barthod Chambolle-Musigny:

1996 D. Bocquenet Nuits-St.-Georges “Aux Saint Julien”:

2003 Saxum “Bone Rock”:

2000 Dr. Loosen Erdener Pralat Auslese:

1995 Soucherie Coteaux du Layon “Beaulieu Cuvée de la Tour”:

Thanks for viewing.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

Re: WTN: Wordless Tasting Notes - the Evolution pt. 1

by AlexR » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:42 am

Joe,

Very interesting concept.

Full marks for thinking outside the box!

All the best,
Alex
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:45 am

I've no idea what Murphy Brown is/was, but the picture alone gives the impression of something not very nice
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:32 am

Joe, you are a genius. Albeit a very twisted one.

But as Ian said, I'm wondering about the Murphy Brown photo. Does that mean you like the Lessona or hate it? That you think it's groovy or cheesy? Funny or stupid? Mean and narcissistic, like the character Candice Bergen played? Or something else I'm not getting...

Based on your photos, I'm guessing the wine I'd like best is the '96 Bocquenet. But I guess that depends on one's taste in music.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:46 am

This would work well for the morning after effects as well.

An overindulgence in Hearty Burgundy:

no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:30 pm

Bruce K wrote:Joe, you are a genius. Albeit a very twisted one.

But as Ian said, I'm wondering about the Murphy Brown photo. Does that mean you like the Lessona or hate it? That you think it's groovy or cheesy? Funny or stupid? Mean and narcissistic, like the character Candice Bergen played? Or something else I'm not getting...

Based on your photos, I'm guessing the wine I'd like best is the '96 Bocquenet. But I guess that depends on one's taste in music.

And your love of acid.

Yes, Murphy Brown is one of the more abstract images. It was successful, but not something that I would go out of my way for.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:58 pm

love of acid

D'oh! Should have figured that one out.

Yes, Murphy Brown is one of the more abstract images. It was successful, but not something that I would go out of my way for.

Well put, as, when it aired, I found it palatable, even enjoyable on occasion, but it was hardly a "must-see."
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:09 pm

The 2003 Saxum “Bone Rock” image could go off in a lot of directions. Most of them quite frightening, at least me. :)
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:10 pm

Sam Platt wrote:The 2003 Saxum “Bone Rock” image could go off in a lot of directions. Most of them quite frightening, at least me. :)

The Ivan Drago pic has caused quite a stir *elsewhere*, too!

Already there are websites popping up all over the internet exploring any possible homoerotic connections my tasting notes may have. :D

FYI, He's the steroid enhanced villain from Rocky IV. He notably said such lines as, "If he dies, he dies." and "I must break you."
no avatar
User

Mike Pollard

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:53 pm

San Diego

by Mike Pollard » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:23 pm

Tasting notes in pictures has been around for awhile – I believe the first (at least on the internet) may be Chateau Petrogasm.

Its not an approach that I favor, and the explanation is similar to that shown above by the confusion that any image can produce. At least if someone says a wine has blackberry or cedar, or is well balanced, or tannic, then I figure I have some chance of understanding it. But when I see this I can’t help but wonder if the wine is a mess, or maybe it has (pine?)nuts, caramel and mocha. Then again maybe it’s a mess of (pine?)nuts, caramel and mocha. There is only one person who knows, and I don’t know why they won’t just say what they think about the wine.

Mike
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:39 pm

Mike Pollard wrote:Tasting notes in pictures has been around for awhile – I believe the first (at least on the internet) may be Chateau Petrogasm.

Its not an approach that I favor, and the explanation is similar to that shown above by the confusion that any image can produce. At least if someone says a wine has blackberry or cedar, or is well balanced, or tannic, then I figure I have some chance of understanding it. But when I see this I can’t help but wonder if the wine is a mess, or maybe it has (pine?)nuts, caramel and mocha. Then again maybe it’s a mess of (pine?)nuts, caramel and mocha. There is only one person who knows, and I don’t know why they won’t just say what they think about the wine.

Mike

All of the wines tasted like (pine?)nuts, caramel and mocha.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:16 pm

I enjoyed your wordless tasting notes. I have been fond of the Boquenet NSG Aux St. Julien from more recent vintages and it took WOTN at one Pinot Noir Around the World tasting in DC area.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:20 pm

JC (NC) wrote:I enjoyed your wordless tasting notes. I have been fond of the Boquenet NSG Aux St. Julien from more recent vintages and it took WOTN at one Pinot Noir Around the World tasting in DC area.

It was lovely. As a rule, I try to avoid producers with "Q" in the name (other than Yquem), but this was an exception.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:18 pm

Good effort Joe.

At the time of that Jerry pic, the analogy might have been closer to black tar (Persian) than acid.
The comment made elsewhere that it was a fat and jammy wine had me laughing out loud.

Maybe include more of your own photos in the next installment?