The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Q: Which Wine for a Tasting

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

Q: Which Wine for a Tasting

by wrcstl » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:17 am

Burgundy is the theme of our next wine tasting. All in the group love wine but the experience runs from enjoy to geeky with yours truly being at the top of the geek heap. Burgs are my least knowlegable area along with Germany so what should I open. At a tasting older stuff does not do well in this group so I am looking for something a little on the fruity side so most choices are '99.

'99 Savigny les Beaune - Ecard
'99 Gervey Chabertin - Nadeff
'99 Pommard les Croix Noires - ??
'01 Gervey Chambertin VV - Bachelette

If none of these work I can always open an '05

Walt
no avatar
User

William K

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:28 pm

New Orleans

Re: Q: Which Wine for a Tasting

by William K » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:20 pm

FWIW, I've run into several 99's recently that were IMO shut down, and the bigger they are the more likely that seems to happen. So I'd hesitate to open the Gevrey for sure and probably the Pommard as well (though I'd of course defer if anyone here knows better about these specific wines).

"For something a little on the fruity side," have you considered an '03? The initial over-the-top fruit-bomb character seems to have faded a bit on most of the '03's I have tried recently and they are drinking as quite nice young Burgundies right now.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:32 pm

William K wrote:FWIW, I've run into several 99's recently that were IMO shut down, and the bigger they are the more likely that seems to happen. So I'd hesitate to open the Gevrey for sure and probably the Pommard as well (though I'd of course defer if anyone here knows better about these specific wines).

"For something a little on the fruity side," have you considered an '03? The initial over-the-top fruit-bomb character seems to have faded a bit on most of the '03's I have tried recently and they are drinking as quite nice young Burgundies right now.

William,
You are probably correct on the '03 but I took a pass on '03 in almost all wine regions as I am not a fan of fruit bombs. Additionally several people will be purchasing from local wine stores as they do not have cellars and want to leave that year for them.
Walt
no avatar
User

William K

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:28 pm

New Orleans

by William K » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:58 pm

wrcstl wrote:You are probably correct on the '03 but I took a pass on '03 in almost all wine regions as I am not a fan of fruit bombs. Walt

I hear ya, Walt. I was less than thrilled with the '03's when they were relased, but I have had a few recently and IMO they have really come around. That fruit-bomb character has faded a good bit, and while you'd never mistake them for an '02 or '05 I'm finding them very pleasant drinking at the village and even AOC Bourg. levels right now (this is reds only, of course -the whites from '03 I avoid completely).

If you haven't tried one since their release, it's worth revisiting, esp. since many nice '03's are becoming available at very attractive prices as the market rushes to the '05 vintage.
no avatar
User

David Nelson

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:32 pm

St. Louis, MO

by David Nelson » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:08 pm

Walt,

All of those are pretty likely to be shut down, though I'm not experienced with either Nadef nor Bachlette, so there may be some producer tendencies that override village/vintage generalizations.

If that's Ecard's village SLB, as opposed to one of the 1er Crus, that would likely be my pick. Heck, even if it's a 1er Cru, that's still probably my pick. A '99 Pommard would be the last thing I'd open, and I'd probably give the nod to the '01 GC over the '99.

Cheers,

Dave
no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:20 am

by Nathan Smyth » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:07 pm

What's the purpose of this tasting?

To teach people what Burgundy really tastes like, or to get them boozed up on Pinot-as-Shiraz?
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:32 pm

Nathan Smyth wrote:What's the purpose of this tasting?

To teach people what Burgundy really tastes like, or to get them boozed up on Pinot-as-Shiraz?

Nathan,
This is a serious tasting group. Normally I try not to get boozed up and never drink Shiraz. The problem is, and this is with most tastings with 10+ wines, the bigger wines are the more memorable. With three wine geeks drinking wines or with my wife, I would open a '96 but with a bigger group I wanted something with a little more body.

Do you drink Shiraz :lol: If you do you need to talk to Otto.

Walt
no avatar
User

Kevin O'Connell

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:52 pm

Maryland

by Kevin O'Connell » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:34 am

If that's your list then go with the '99 Gevrey Chambertin Nadeff though I have not had that particular wine. I've had '99 Nuits GC's that have been quite good lately but the Beaune's have all been locked up tight where no amount of airing would serve you well.

Kevin