The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

New Netscape Forum poll: Best VALUE bubbly

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

New Netscape Forum poll: Best VALUE bubbly

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:13 pm

I've set up another online poll on the Netscape Forum, this time inviting you to tell us your pick for best <i>value</i> in sparkling wine. Even if you prefer expensive Champagne for those very special occasions, we're betting that you find simpler pleasure in something more affordable for everyday fizz. You'll find the "ballot" at this link. Please drop by soon and cast your vote (no forum registration or login is required if you simply vote, although I hope you'll stay around and add a comment). The more voters who participate, the more interesting - if not scientifically valid - the results will be.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: New Netscape Forum poll: Best VALUE bubbly

by James Roscoe » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:00 pm

Why can't you cross post the poll here? Every time I go over to Netscape I remember why I vowed never to return. You really baited the hook with the poll on bublies. I couldn't resist. I love French cremants. I also love proseccos. It was a tough choice. American sparkling wine is a good value too. It's a good poll. I hope people join in and bring their comments over here.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:25 pm

Prosecco. The good ones are so pungently mineral and delightfully dry yet friendly and fruity. And also they're fairly low in alcohol so one can drink quite a bit of them - always an important consideration during the hot summer months :)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:15 pm

I went with the cremant's because I love what the French in other regions do with sparkling wine, but Otto and Robin are making my mouth water for a good prosecco. I really wouldn't want to pay more than $15 for one though. Robin is featuring one today that seems a little pricey.
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:47 pm

I clicked on Champagne because I think generally that does provide the best value, but I also think the best below-twenty-dollar values are elsewhere and are not limited to any one region. For instance, a couple of forum respondents mentioned Roederer Estate Andersen Valley, and that one's hard to beat anywhere for about 17 bucks. What about below fifteen dollars? While Cavas generally taste like a cross between strawberry soda pop and liquid rust, something called Bolugas Cava Rosado (NV) sells for only about $14 or less and not only delivers good fresh strawberries but a hint of minerals, which may be the rust in disguise but it's good enough to fool me.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:35 pm

Clint Hall wrote: What about below fifteen dollars? While Cavas generally taste like a cross between strawberry soda pop and liquid rust, something called Bolugas Cava Rosado (NV) sells for only about $14 or less and not only delivers good fresh strawberries but a hint of minerals, which may be the rust in disguise but it's good enough to fool me.

Gruet's Brut usually sells for $12-14 and is hard to beat at that price point. For the few extra bucks, the Roederer Estate is a QPR winner.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:51 am

I didn't vote in the Netscape forum, but in New Zealand the best value bubbly is undoubtably Lindauer Brut NV. It's a local drop, but well regarded in the UK and is now available in the US too.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:48 am

Sue Courtney wrote: ... Lindauer Brut NV. It's a local drop, but well regarded in the UK and is now available in the US too.

I completely agree with you about the Lindauer Brut. It arrived at our wine shop in Gig Harbor, WA back in January. At $9 it was a great find.

-- Clark