The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Vacationing in Napa...any recommended Zin producers?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

William K

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:28 pm

New Orleans

Vacationing in Napa...any recommended Zin producers?

by William K » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:53 pm

Anyone have pointers to interesting Zin producers in the CA north coast area? I'll be heading out there for a vacation around labor day and would love some recommendations on obscure-but-artisan Zins that I'd be unlikely to find in my local wine store.

As a point of reference, my main interests are Burgundy and Zin...so when I go Zin I'm looking for TOTAL reversal from Burgundy. I want complexity for sure...completely burial of all nuance in oak is of zero interest...but I want something with some SERIOUS heft, too.

For instance, I like Ridge and appreciate what they do...but sometimes their stuff is almost too finessed for me. OTOH, I really dig the Biale Zins. So that may help level-set what I'm hoping to find more of.

Looking forward to the input!

Thanks,
Will
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Vacationing in Napa...any recommended Zin producers?

by OW Holmes » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:00 pm

Sorry, I don't have any Zin advice for you WK, but saw that you just got here and wanted to extend you a warm welcome to the friendliest wine board on the net.
Now come on guys - how about some help for our new friend.
-OW
no avatar
User

Charley Hood

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:20 pm

Ann Arbor, MI

by Charley Hood » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:04 pm

Try Elyse (Howell Mtn area), Downing Family (Oakville), and Chateau Potelle (Mt. Veeder). Also, Ch. Montelena is one of the best visits in the valley and their zin is pretty tasty, too.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:28 pm

William K wrote:Anyone have pointers to interesting Zin producers in the CA north coast area? I'll be heading out there for a vacation around labor day and would love some recommendations on obscure-but-artisan Zins that I'd be unlikely to find in my local wine store.

Well, one man's obscure... And are you limiting yourself to Napa or are you willing to visit Sonoma, too? In Napa, one of my favorite Zin producers is Storybook Mountain (by appointment only), definitely not overwooded. In Sonoma, I'd suggest you try Joseph Swan, Dry Creek Vineyards and Cline in addition to the usual suspects. Ridge's Lytton Springs Road tasting room is well worth the visit as they often have an older bottle open for tasting.

Have fun!
Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:38 pm

If you're up towards Calistoga, look up T-Vine. Great stuff. And for a totally unique experience, go see Vince Tofanelli. You can get hold of him through his webpage at http://www.tofanelliwine.com/

Both will require appointments. Both are well worth it.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:53 pm

I want something with some SERIOUS heft, too.

By this, I assume you are looking for kick-ass, blow-your-hair-back Zinfandels from Napa/Sonoma. Two names readily come to mind -- Carol Shelton and Turley. Novy and Rosenblum make some pretty big stuff as well.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:56 am

I've always like the zins produced by Scott Harvey, formerly of Folie à Deux. I don't quite where he's making his wines lately, but I heard someone say he was using or had used the facilities at the Larson Family Winery. Anyway, his website is Scott Harvey Wines and he makes wine from grapes from both Amador and Napa. His zin is worth a taste or two.