The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Randy Dunn tickles Washington with a Feather

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

WTN: Randy Dunn tickles Washington with a Feather

by Randy Buckner » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:30 pm

2003 Feather (Long Shadows), Cabernet Sauvignon, Columbia Valley, Washington, $55, 437 cases. Almost black in the glass. This one is hard not to like. Aromas speak of ripe black cherries and dark chocolate, while the wine is full, dense, and elegant in the mouth. The tannins sneak up on the finish, demanding three to four years of aging. Randy Dunn was the guest winemaker; 90/90.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

Re: WTN: Randy Dunn tickles Washington with a Feather

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:34 am

I had never heard of Long Shadows until I tasted their 2003 Pirouette Columbia Valley Red Wine in February. It was easily the biggest and the best at the WA red wines tasting I attended that night. This wine is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (56%), Merlot (22%), Syrah (10%), Cabernet Franc (9%) and Petit Verdot (3%). It was also dark, dense and elegant ... and $55 a bottle.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:38 am

I tried the 2002 version:

2002 Pirouette (Long Shadows), Red Wine, Columbia Valley, Washington, $55, 500 cases. This Cabernet-predominant blend gives off aromas of plums, berries, and a double-shot mocha. Full and round on the palate, this elegant wine delivers juicy, concentrated fruit flavors, which are enhanced by coffee nuances; 88/87.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:10 am

Randy, who made the Pirouette? I've forgotten--or was it Philippe Melka? Prolly was.

Haven't had the Feather yet. Have to admit, I've been buying a few of each of these as they come along. Somehow I think it will be interesting to have them some day. Hope I'm not wrong. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:28 pm

Augustin Huneeus in collaboration Melka.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:05 pm

Thanks to your note, I bought the last two bottles of one retailer's six bottle allocation. He complained about the six bottle part, saying "I got 12 of the Sequel." Do you know, were the same amounts made of all these wines, or are the later releases simply spread more thinly than the early ones?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:43 pm

Not sure. 437 cases were made of this. Pedestal (Merlot) had 553 cases. Pirouette (Cab) had 500 cases. There is just not much made of any of them.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:25 pm

Knew the production was pretty small, but wasn't sure of the numbers. Sounds like a spread-thin problem--430 vs. 550 is 20% less--and the line is becoming more well known.