Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP /Foodletter: Double asparagus risotto

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

RCP /Foodletter: Double asparagus risotto

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:14 pm

Double asparagus risotto

We're under heavy deadline pressure over here today, running behind and facing the prospect of a winter storm that we hope won't take out electrical power this afternoon or tonight, so with apologies I'll offer an abbreviated FoodLetter that draws from a couple of recent topics.

Wrapped up in this short-change package, though, is an interesting risotto tip that I came up with the other day, one that intensifies the flavor of a vegetable main player by essentially doubling its presence, using part of it as an ingredient and more of it pureed in a sauce.

The beneficiary of this treatment in today's report was a bunch of fresh, pencil-thin asparagus, a veggie that will be taking center stage again soon as spring approaches in the Northern Hemisphere. (Please hurry!) It could work very well, though, with other green-vegetable risotto bases such as fresh spinach or green peas.

I'll refer you back to my recent (Jan. 3, 2008) dissertation on veggie risotto, http://www.wineloverspage.com/wineadvisor2/food/tsfl20080103.php for the basic risotto procedure.

Simply explained, it's a matter of sauteeing aromatics and then briefly parching rice, then stirring in liquid, a little at a time, stirring constantly and adding more liquid as needed, until the rice turns <i>al dente</i> tender and develops a beautiful creamy texture. The primary flavor ingredient, which could be vegetables, meat, seafood or cheese, is added during the process, varying depending on its cooking time.

(Italian Arborio or similar medium-grain rice varieties are strongly recommended, as standard long-grain rice, by its nature, won't turn creamy even if you cook it into porridge.)

Here's how today's asparagus rendition is different: The flavor of asparagus is concentrated by bring it to the recipe in three forms, and not a drop of flavor is poured out in cooking water or otherwise goes down the drain.

First, I simmered the asparagus briefly in very lightly salted water with a little garlic and fresh ginger and lemon juice to add aroma. As soon as the asparagus was crisp-tender, I lifted it out, retaining the flavorful green water (extended with more fresh water) to use as the risotto liquid.

Second, I divided the asparagus, reserving the tips and tender ends to add at the end of cooking.

Third, I used a blender to buzz the lower ends of the asparagus spears into a bright green puree, which I would stir in to the simmering rice toward the end of cooking.

Made with an othersise standard risotto procedure, the result was a risotto full of intense asparagus flavor imparted by the broth, the puree and the crisp-tender tips, all three. A dab of butter and a good spoonful of freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese to finish it off, and we had a simple vegetarian dinner so rich in flavor that there was no need for meat. And it went delightfully with a modest but flavorful white Burgundy, Domaine Alain Normand 2005 Macon La Roche Vineuse.

As I said, time constraints prevent me from presenting a full step-by-step ingredient list and procedure this week. If you're an experienced risotto maker, I think you'll find it easy to wing it based on the information I've provided. If you would like to give a try but need a little more support, I've posted this article in our FoodLovers Discussion Group, where you can post questions about it in our friendly online community.

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: RCP /Foodletter: Double asparagus risotto

by Howie Hart » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:32 pm

Robin - although I don't have it in front of me, I have a French cook book at home, which recommends the exact same technique of using the cooking liquid, puree and the tips to make Cream of Asparagus Soup.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:16 pm

Robin,

That sounds like a winner. I will give it a try.

Greg
no avatar
User

Alda Coimbra

Rank

Just got here

Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:25 am

by Alda Coimbra » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:54 am

Sounds REALLY special!
I´ll cook it tomorrow!
Alda Coimbra (Brazil)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:35 pm

Alda Coimbra wrote:Sounds REALLY special!
I´ll cook it tomorrow!
Alda Coimbra (Brazil)

Alda from Brazil! Welcome to our forum; I hope after you've made Robin's recipe you'll report back on your results.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:37 pm

Great technique--asparagus leaves so much good flavor behind in the cooking water, it's a shame to waste it. Artichokes are another, though not as quick to prepare initially, that provides that same kind of goodness.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov