The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: J. Vidal-Fleury, Côtes du Rhône, 2004

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

WTN: J. Vidal-Fleury, Côtes du Rhône, 2004

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:01 pm

J. Vidal-Fleury, Côtes du Rhône, 2004, 13% Alc. by Vol.

I picked this up at Trader Joe's where it was marked as costing $3.99. Now that I look at the receipt, it seems they got me for $6.99. I need to pay better attention.

When I poured this, it smelled awful ... like wet cardboard and stagnant water along the side of the road. But the synthetic cork probably excludes the possibility of TCA. It did not, however, have any kind of sulfur odor. I really couldn't get past the smell so, although I tried it, I don't think I could give it a fair shake from that sitting.

That was last night around 10:00 p.m. ...

This morning before breakfast I poured myself another glass just to try it with fresh tastebuds. The off-putting odors had left this medium-red, translucent solution and had been replaced with what I can best describe as the coarse smells of youth. They reminded me of the smell of wine just being bottled. There were hints of coffee, chocolate and then suddenly dark red fruits on the tongue. The finish culminated on a berry-like note. But these tastes were playing hide and seek.

I think this one needs more time in the bottle before its true character shows.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: WTN: J. Vidal-Fleury, Côtes du Rhône, 2004

by Hoke » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:14 pm

I don't think it needs more time in the bottle, Gary. I think its true character is pretty much showing already.

Haven't tried the '04 yet, but got some of the two previous vintages, and I have to say the V-F has become the vinous equivalent of junk bonds.

The label is now the best thing there is about Vidal-Fleury.