The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Hart Cellars 2005 Chardonnay

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: Hart Cellars 2005 Chardonnay

by Paul B. » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:26 pm

Another of Howie's homemade wines, we had this lovely Chardonnay, made from Niagara-On-The-Lake fruit, this past weekend.

Bright, clear straw colour with excellent clarity and a few legs when swirled. Beautifully defined nose of green apple and pineapple fruit; no oak here at all. Crisp and gorgeously dry on the entry with a well-defined structure, flavours that follow through across the palate and a perfectly balanced, perfectly crisp and dry texture. Clean, long finish. One of the best unoaked Chardonnays I've ever tried - and not just from around here. The bottle went fast, with everyone commenting on how good it was. Most of the comments were from non-wine types, too. Who says newbies don't like dry wines?

Great work, Howie! I was proud to have this on my table.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Tyler Brebbermann

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:19 am

Hamburg, Germany

Re: WTN: Hart Cellars 2005 Chardonnay

by Tyler Brebbermann » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:11 pm

This was one of my favorite wines of the weekend. We tried this Saturday night after the winery tours along side Howie's oaked version. I can honestly say it was the most appealing Chard I've ever drunk and is one of the only ones, among those that I have tasted, that I would pair with food. The oaked version I didn't care for at all. This is how I feel more Chardonnay should be made.

I haven't tried Kim Crawfords unoaked Chardonnay and would like to soon so that I could compare my reaction.

Tyler
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:22 am

Thanks Paul, but I have to give credit where credit is due - to the grower. The old axium "Good grapes make good wine". As with the better wines I've ever made, all I had to do was ferment, clarify, finish bone dry and bottle. Glad you enjoyed it.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:49 am

Howie Hart wrote:As with the better wines I've ever made, all I had to do was ferment, clarify, finish bone dry and bottle.

And, of course, leave it oak-less.
I join in the chorus of fans of your beautiful wine. What a treat.
-OW
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:59 am

Hmmmm.... note to self - don't give any more of this away. Save two bottles for NY State Fair. Give away the Cayuga and Vidal. :wink:
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:08 am

Howie Hart wrote:Hmmmm.... note to self - don't give any more of this away. Save two bottles for NY State Fair. Give away the Cayuga and Vidal. :wink:

Hey, Howie. I was just kidding. You got any more of that crappy unoaked Chardonnay laying around???? :wink:
-OW