The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Joseph Drouhin Beaune Clos des Mouches 1996

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: Joseph Drouhin Beaune Clos des Mouches 1996

by David Lole » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:57 am

Transluscent medium-ruby with plenty of rust in the outer edges. Pronounced white meniscus. Heavenly perfumed bouquet of pinot sap, sour cherry and plum, a little sous bois, truffles, spice box and beautifully integrated savoury oak. Silky light- to medium-bodied palate with similarly etched fruit backed by the vintage thumbprint of elevated, but in this case, not overblown, acidity and fine-grained, sympathetic tannins. Finishes soft and long with a delicacy I enjoy with this winestyle. Excellent and definitely worth of a look now but should last/improve for many years to come. Went brilliantly with the most succulent marinated free range/drug-free chook slow-cooked in the Weber. :wink:
Last edited by David Lole on Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Joseph Drouhin Beaune Clos des Mouches 1996

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:46 am

Oh, wow ... thanks for breaking all our stereotypes about Aussies sitting around eating burnt kangaroo meat on sticks and swilling cheap Shiraz ...
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:05 pm

Thanks David! This is consistently one of the greatest 1er Crus around. But has anyone tasted any other producer's CdM? All one ever hears about is Drouhin! I've not had this vintage but the 2000 and the 1990 are among the most pleasurable wines I've recently had.

Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:43 pm

I know it's not a Monopole, but I think Drouhin owns far and away the largest share of the Clos des Mouches. I've recently become a fan of the CDM blanc and know that besides Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, there is a relatively large Pinot Gris (Beurot) planting still around. I know it's traditional practice to throw a little PG in with the PN on this site, but has anyone ever tasted a straight PG from CDM? I think an experimental bottle here and there would be interesting.

Prost!
-Bill
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:54 pm

David Lole wrote:Transluscent medium-ruby with plenty of rust in the outer edges. Pronounced white meniscus. Heavenly perfumed bouquet of pinot sap, sour cherry and plum, a little sous bois, truffles, spice box and beautifully integrated savoury oak. Silky light- to medium-bodied palate with similarly etched fruit backed by the vintage thumbprint of elevated, but in this case, not overblown, acidity and fine-grained, sympathetic tannins. Finishes soft and long with a delicacy I enjoy with this winestyle. Excellent and definitely worth of a look now but should last/improve for many years to come. Went brilliantly with the most succulent marinated free range/drug-free chook slow-cooked in the Weber. :wink:

Sounds delicious David. Drouhin Clos des Mouches has been a longtime favourite. I like the way they age too and wonder if the voluptuous upfront new world pinot will have this aging capability. Time will tell, I guess.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:50 pm

The 1998 was my epiphany wne... I shared my last bottle with Jenise... who better to appreciate it!!!