The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Pellegrini Olivet Lane Pinot Noir (Sonoma County)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: 2004 Pellegrini Olivet Lane Pinot Noir (Sonoma County)

by JC (NC) » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:25 pm

To accompany an entree of veal schnitzel at Nana's Restaurant in Durham I debated whether to have Riesling, a Brun Beaujolais Old Vines or a Pinot Noir (in Germany I probably would have ordered a Mosel Riesling). I tried a sip of the 2005 Loosen Brothers Riesling (too sweet for an entree course) and a sip of the Pinot Noir and went with the above Pinot.
Nana's Restaurant prepared the thin veal schnitzel slices with a lemon-butter caper sauce and served them with walnut spaetzle, bits of goat cheese, cooked turnips and pearl onions. Wonderful! It transported me back to Europe although the spaetzle (like little delicate dumplings) were not quite like I have had this dish in Germany.

Now the 2004 Pellegrini Olivet Lane Pinot Noir
Heady nose. Rather like a black cherry liqueur with no cola (thankfully) in sight (or smell and taste). Considerable body. Legs on side of glass. Elegance, smoothness, tastes of mature vines. Soft tannins on the finish. A hint of clove and possibly mocha. This may hold for several more years. I really like this!!

I had just been reading about Pellegrini's Olivet Lane vineyard in the book "North American Pinot Noir." This vineyard furnishes P.N. grapes to Gary Farrell, Merry Edwards and Williams Selyem wineries--not a bad list!!

I declined dessert but had an Irish coffee. I first asked for it without whipped cream but realized this was a mistake and had to reverse course. It is just not the same drink without whipped cream.

Another great dinner at Nana's where Scott Howell presides in the kitchen.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: 2004 Pellegrini Olivet Lane Pinot Noir (Sonoma County)

by James Roscoe » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:25 pm

JC
I've always thought German food gets a bad rap from the foodies. I am a little biased as my father is German. But the German cuisine is more than just sausages. Heck , if it was just the sausages, their contribution to the food world would be pretty significant. Being Bavarian, my family generally served beer with most meals, but a nice pinot (don't the Germans call it a Spatsburgunder?) would do well with your schnitzel and spaetzle. You've made me hungry for some jaeger schnitzle and spaetzle. I guess I'm going to have to visit Mom and Dad this summer.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:24 am

The Germans do call it Spatburgunder (no second 's'). I also enjoy sauerbraten, red cabbage, salads with celeriac (celery root), fruit torten desserts, maultaschen (a Schwabische speciality soup with meat dumplings), Baden-style schneckensuppe (snail soup), Nurnberger wurstchen (little sausages with spices), french fries without the grease, rouladen, etc. And I enjoy veal or pork schnitzel in at least a dozen preparations--jagerschnitzel, rahmschnitzel, with fried egg on top or with asparagus on top, zigeunerschnitzel, etc. One thing I never really acquired a taste for was some of the cakes which seemed far too dry to me. I like moist cake.
no avatar
User

Patchen (Chicago)

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:57 pm

Chicago, IL

Olivet Lane

by Patchen (Chicago) » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:39 am

Hey JC --

Thanks for the notes. I couldn't quite tell: is Pellegrini the owner of Olivet Lane Vyd, or are they just one among several who buy fruit from it? I've had the Merry Edwards Olivet Lane Pinots (though not recently; I am sitting on my last bottle from... 99?) and enjoyed them, but I don't have a clear sense of the vineyard.

cheers,

Patchen
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:01 am

"One thing I never really acquired a taste for was some of the cakes which seemed far too dry to me. I like moist cake"
JC
My grandmother Roscoe's recipe for chocolate cake is the moistest cake you'll ever have. I should say she was Pennsylvania Dutch and married a Bavarian immigrant after WWI (He fought for us, his brothers fought for them.) Anyway, I will always think of German cakes as moist. My wife continues to make this cake and it's a big hit. (My wife likes it with champagne, I like it with port or banyuls.) It includes a heavy does of coffee. Your response doesn't fit with my limited experience. Of course, I've never been to Germany and you have, so I bow to your experience, but it seems weird.
Cheers!
James[/quote]
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: Olivet Lane

by Randy Buckner » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:10 am

I couldn't quite tell: is Pellegrini the owner of Olivet Lane Vyd

They do indeed, Patchen.
no avatar
User

Patchen (Chicago)

Rank

Wine geek

Chicago, IL

Thanks, Bucko

by Patchen (Chicago) » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:16 am

I'm not sure subject lines are as visible as they used to be, so again: thanks!

cheers,

Patchen
cheers,

Patchen
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Thanks, Bucko

by JC (NC) » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:22 am

Bucko beat me to it. Yes, Pellegrini owns Olivet Lane Estate which produces Chardonnay and Pinot Noir grapes. They own other vineyards which grow Zinfandel, etc. There is also a Pellegrini family on Long Island as part of the New York wine industry--I don't know if they are close relations to the California family or not.

Forgot to add that the Pellegrini (of CA) website says the Olivet Lane vineyard was established in the 1970's.
Last edited by JC (NC) on Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:24 am

To James Roscoe,
I don't think of German chocolate cake, which I love, as being dry. I was thinking of the typical Schwarzwalderkuchen or white cake and others I have had in Germany.
no avatar
User

Patchen (Chicago)

Rank

Wine geek

Chicago, IL

Thanks

by Patchen (Chicago) » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:32 am

Thanks, JC! I will keep my eyes open for this.

cheers

Patchen