The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WT 101: Casa Lapostolle Merlot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

WT 101: Casa Lapostolle Merlot

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:26 am

Opened an hour and slightly chilled. Always a decent product that in the past has not always held up too well overnight...unlike the Cuvee Alexandre!

WTN: `04 Casa Lapostolle Merlot--Rapel Valley, Chile.

Colour. Dark ruby with purple tints on the edge. Medium intense centre and nothing in the way of legs.

Nose. Black cherry, plum, lush fruit here. Some boysenberry after an hour.

Palate. Initial mouthfeel is soft ripe blackberry.Full and rich, very satisfying without being too serious. The finish is smooth , tad jammy but wine low in tannins. Balance is good, just a hint of oak and some savoury character. Chocolate as it warms up. Good everyday red for those looking for an uncomplicated merlot. Me, I would like the Cuvee A right now!!

Cost was $17.00 Cdn.
Food. Sausage in tomato sauce, penne salad on the side.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Re: WT 101: Casa Lapostolle Merlot.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:19 pm

Does not appear to have held up too well overnight but had previous track record problem with this winerys entry level wines. Nose is a bust and seems high alcohol on the finish. Still too jammy for me however. Off to the Grill to go through some new wines for the winelist. Stay tuned forumites.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:42 pm

Bob, I last had this wine about 5 years ago and found it bitter and weedy. I never tried it again. Come to think of it, I've drunk very little Chilean wine in that time.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:34 am

Can understand that Paul B. You will be pleased to hear that the Calona Sovereign Opal has made it onto the winelist at the Grill. We had a big tasting tonite and was well liked by those present. Some thought it resembled Riesling..understandable eh. Three cheers for the hybrid.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:40 am

Bob - found a small stash of the 1995 Casa Lapostolle Cuve Alexandre Merlot when cleaing out the cellar - still drinks very well. I've always considered it to be a big step ahead of the regular wine and it obviously ages well.

Oddly enough, it is the opposite with the Cousino Macul cabs - the regular wine is only a half step if that down from the Antiguas reserva in many years.
no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

by Agostino Berti » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:17 pm

A few years ago (2002)I had the chance to buy a few bottles of Los Vascos Cabernet 1993 from a perfectly kept private cellar for 6 dollars a bottle. You would think they would be ok but not great.....they were great! Perfect drinkability...apogee...unbelievable ethereal, potent nose. Aged to perfection. Beautiful, full, balanced mouth - smooth, tasty, Bordeaux bliss. What a surprise! What a bargain! Like a 20 yr old Bordeaux for six bucks. I had the '95 Reserve from the same cellar doubting it would be better, and it wasn't.

Which goes to show: hyped wines sometimes are just, and should be, just hyped wines.

I definitely don't like this new trend of "super" South American wines that cost 60 bucks. How much are the people working there getting paid? A dollar a day? Its pure greed. Give us fairly priced good wine dammit!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:20 am

Believe it or not. I too have a couple of old Los Vascos lying down and till now did not have much hope!!
Tonight at an instore tasting, we tasted the new `05 vintage of the Dona Paula Malbec. I found it quite ripe hence sweet, but many present loved it and it flew out of the store at the end of the tasting. Any have an opinion of this vintage? Thanks in anticipation.
Cost is $20.00 Cdn.