Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Pineapple muffins

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Pineapple muffins

by Jenise » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:49 pm

Cynthia got me going, now I have to make a batch of these tomorrow. Resurrecting an old recipe/post from FLDG Classic:

Date: 05-Jul-2003 19:03
Author: Jenise Email
Subject: RC: Easy Pineapple Muffins
View Parent message

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last weekend, I wanted to make pineapple muffins to accompany a Mexican themed brunch of steak and egg tacos. I selected a recipe from a plethora of possibilities I found on the internet because of it's higher ratio of pineapple to flour (1 c crushed fruit, 1/2 c juice, 2 c flour). I wanted a moist muffin with a very assertive and unadulterated pineapple presence that would taste like a muffin version of the classic filled Mexican turnover/pie sold at panaderias all over the southland. So no nuts, zucchini, orange rind, oats, whatever. Just pineapple. And lots of it.

The recipe was posted on a site called Gail's Recipe Swap by someone named "Timid".

I liked the result okay but the muffins weren't perfect, they didn't explode with pineapple as I'd hoped. They were, dare I say it, too timid?

A few tweaks of that same recipe a few days later, however, yielded just the muffin I was hoping to get the first time--powerfully fruity (2 1/2 cups fruit and juice), baking powder biscuit texture, and better balance on the sugar/salt front. Not bad for a second try from a non-baker, I thought!

DSC02544.JPG

And a home-baked breakfast doesn't get much easier than this: one bowl and a short list of hand-mixed ingredients means you've got a six extra large (or about 18 small) muffins coming out of the oven just 30 minutes after you got the jones.

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c sugar
1 egg
4 tblsp fairly neutral oil, like canola
1 20 oz can "crushed pinapple in syrup" (do not substitute fresh, the higher acid in fresh pineapple will kill your leavening)

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Make a well in the center, add the beaten egg, oil and 100% of the contents of one can of crushed pineapple. Stir until just blended. Scoop into greased muffin tins. Bake 20-22 minutes at 400 for large muffins. Smaller muffins will probably cook in 10-12.
DSC02544.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: RCP: Pineapple muffins

by Howie Hart » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:13 pm

Thanks for post this Jenise. Looks like a great idea to serve with an Easter brunch, especially since I hate pineapple on ham.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:39 pm

Those sound delicious, Jenise. I love pineapple!

What time will they be coming out of the oven tomorrow? :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:48 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Thanks for post this Jenise. Looks like a great idea to serve with an Easter brunch, especially since I hate pineapple on ham.

Great idea, hadn't even thought of that myself. They'd be lovely with ham.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:10 pm

Jenise,
I plan to make your pineapple muffins on Saturday, for Sunday brunch. I could not find crushed pineapple in syrup, but I did find it "in juice". Funny thing, they now have pineapple in syrup made with Splenda.

Do you suggest I add more sugar to the recipe?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:48 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Jenise,
I plan to make your pineapple muffins on Saturday, for Sunday brunch. I could not find crushed pineapple in syrup, but I did find it "in juice". Funny thing, they now have pineapple in syrup made with Splenda.

Do you suggest I add more sugar to the recipe?

Call me cynical, but I can't help but wondering if 'juice' isn't a new, healthier sounding name for the same thing? With the quote marks, I clearly took that description directly off the label of what I worked with at the time, but in practice since I've just always bought whatever canned, crushed pineapple was available, and it's usually the Dole label. I do not remember ever having a choice of syrup vs. juice. I'd use what you have, then check for sweetness if it's not against your religion ( :wink: ) to put a finger in the raw batter and adjust.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:17 pm

Jenise wrote:...Call me cynical, but I can't help but wondering if 'juice' isn't a new, healthier sounding name for the same thing? ...
According to the Dole Website one serving (4 0z.) of pineapple in juice contains 13 grams of sugar, while one serving of pineapple in heavy syrup has 22 grams. So a 20 oz with heavy syrup would contain 45 grams of added sugar. According to my Domino sugar bag, 1 teaspoon contains 4 grams, so Karen might want to add about 4 Tablespoons or 1/4 cup of sugar.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:39 pm

Brilliant deduction, Watson (Howie). You get a gold star!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:42 am

Thanks, I think I will try the finger test first! It should be just fine without the additional sugar.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:16 am

I'm planning to make these this weekend also. I had an 8 oz. can of crushed pineapple and decided to get another same-sized can totalling 16 oz. I realize that is 4 oz. short. That will be fine flavor-wise, but do I need to adjust the flour? I will make 12 regular-sized muffins. I was also wondering if this would make a good loaf like banana bread or mini muffins for a party. Thoughts?

Incidently, my Del Monte pineapple comes in 100% juice per the label.

Edited:
OK, I looked up the original recipe and it called for 2 cups flour as well, so I guess I'll leave it at that.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:51 am

Linda, re-reading what I documented at the time about the difference between my boring first batch (the original recipe) and the version I loved ("exploding with pineapple"), the improvement was the higher ratio of pineapple to flour. If you use less pineapple but the same amount of flour, you'll essentially be making the boring version. Definitely cut back the flour 20%, but add more sugar if you're using "in juice" as discussed above.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:31 am

I made a double batch of these today for tomorrow's brunch. However, I forgot that I gave one of my muffin tins to my Mother-in-Law, so I made 12 muffins and, not wanting to leave the batter sitting around, poured the rest of it into a tube pan and baked it for about 35 minutes. The other snag I ran into was the only oil I have around is EVOO. I didn't feel like going to store, so I substituted melted, unsalted butter, which I poured on top of the pineapple before mixing. I ate one of the muffins earlier and am very satisfied with them. Thanks Jenise for posting. I would post a picture, but it would be redundant, as they look just like yours. :)
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:39 am

Howie Hart wrote: I would post a picture, but it would be redundant, as they look just like yours. :)

We don't mind redundant, Howie. Think of it as corroboration. We want to see the photos!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:43 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Howie Hart wrote: I would post a picture, but it would be redundant, as they look just like yours. :)

We don't mind redundant, Howie. Think of it as corroboration. We want to see the photos!
Here is the one I baked in the tube pan. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:26 pm

Howie Hart wrote:I made a double batch of these today for tomorrow's brunch. However, I forgot that I gave one of my muffin tins to my Mother-in-Law, so I made 12 muffins and, not wanting to leave the batter sitting around, poured the rest of it into a tube pan and baked it for about 35 minutes. The other snag I ran into was the only oil I have around is EVOO. I didn't feel like going to store, so I substituted melted, unsalted butter, which I poured on top of the pineapple before mixing. I ate one of the muffins earlier and am very satisfied with them. Thanks Jenise for posting. I would post a picture, but it would be redundant, as they look just like yours. :)

'

Thanks for reporting back, Howie. Your tube version looks wonderful--I want a slice!
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:25 pm

We're out of eggs, or I'd have made a batch of these this morning.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:02 pm

We loved the pineapple muffins. They complimented my country ham, asparagus and Parmesan frittata. I made them yesterday and they actually tasted better today. We used a little butter and huckleberry jam - heaven! :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:34 pm

Thanks for reporting back, Karen, I'm so pleased! And Howie's post made me so hungry, I went off to the store to buy pineapple to make my own batch. They'll be going into the oven any minute now.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:27 pm

I made these muffins over the weekend, and they turned out good. I like to cut them in two and brown them in the toaster over and slather with butter.

I have a confession to make. In spite of the advice given here, I went with my feeling that 16 oz. of pineapple to 2 cups of flour would be fine for my taste. I did add an additional 1/4 cup of sugar. The muffins were great, and plenty moist and tasty. I had one can of crushed pineapple and one can of pineapple tidbits. I used the blender on the tidbits and the result was real juicy, so I may have had as much liquid the 20 oz. can. At any rate, they were good! Oh, a 12-muffin tin took 17 min. to cook.

Thanks Jenise.

I may try this again and use loaf pans.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:33 pm

I'm thinking of a variation substituting finely chopped up canned peaches and substituting brown sugar.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:47 pm

Howie Hart wrote:I'm thinking of a variation substituting finely chopped up canned peaches and substituting brown sugar.

Like a peach cobbler in a muffin. Interesting.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:18 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:Like a peach cobbler in a muffin. Interesting.
Or like a peach upside down cake only different. A peach inside out muffin?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri May 23, 2008 7:10 pm

Jenise,

I made these a fourth time to take on a weekend gathering. Today, I added 1/2 tsp. Vietnamese Cassia Cinnamon and a bit of almond extract. I sprinkled sugar over the top of the muffins for added sweetness and some sparkle. Amazing!
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Fri May 23, 2008 8:10 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Jenise,

I made these a fourth time to take on a weekend gathering. Today, I added 1/2 tsp. Vietnamese Cassia Cinnamon and a bit of almond extract. I sprinkled sugar over the top of the muffins for added sweetness and some sparkle. Amazing!

I guess great minds think alike. I made these for dinner tonight (served as dessert). My friend's nine-year old son ate 3 after his dinner. They were definitely a hit!
Next