The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Same old topic - wine inventory

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: Same old topic - wine inventory

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:14 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Don't you mean "she who rolls her eyes every time you bring another case of wine back home" :wink:

Funny, now that you mention it, new cases seem to show up at home when SWMBO is out doing something else....

Otherwise I get flak about why I 'needed' that particular wine and have to come up with an ad hoc logical reason for it..."Well, we are notably short on Tasmanian Pinot Noirs....."

Image It usually works.....
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:31 pm

Yeah, welcome Tim/neighbour. Bob here from Alberta!!
Glad to see you are a Riesling man, no problem finding them in your area? What are the favs?!!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:40 pm

There is an interesting article in a recent issue of the SF Chronicle.

http://www.sfgate.com/wine
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:55 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Otherwise I get flak about why I 'needed' that particular wine and have to come up with an ad hoc logical reason for it...

:) I get that one as well!

I think there must be a wine widows forum out there where they plot our downfall :shock:
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:14 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:I get that one as well!

I think there must be a wine widows forum out there where they plot our downfall :shock:

And yet somehow they seem able to enjoy the wines we open that have been cellared for years, "Cool'd a long age in the deep-delved earth" to quote Keats (and incidentally, Rumpole).

Women are strange creatures, seeing no contradiction in their lack of understanding as to why we men should not have a plethora of wine, more than one car, camera, or other play toy, while themselves owning more shoes than a millipede, and more frocks than a dress shop.
no avatar
User

Patchen (Chicago)

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:57 pm

Chicago, IL

Oh, Bill, you should know better.

by Patchen (Chicago) » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:19 pm

Millipedes don't wear shoes.
cheers,

Patchen
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:23 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Cantillon? Otto, are you talking lambic beer? If not you have me totally confused. Not that that is something I am not used to. :-)

Yes, lambic it is. I've got only Gueuze, but Cantillon makes a frigging fantastic Kriek as well and some other (always very good or supreme) beers.

Robin, do you mind if I one day soon hijack the wine board and post a few notes on Cantillon? I've tasted through quite a range recently and I think if any beers, these are ones which will appeal to wine lovers as well.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

Re: Oh, Bill, you should know better.

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:24 pm

Patchen (Chicago) wrote:Millipedes don't wear shoes.

And some (not I, of course) would say "Neither should women" - leads to other ludicrous results like allowing them to vote.....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:38 pm

more than one car

(cough, choke, sputter) Hey, buddy, as the wine buy in my family I'm on your side, but what you have is not just 'more than one car'.

And do you suppose Mrs. Spohn would like the cars better if they all actually RAN?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:53 pm

Jenise wrote:And do you suppose Mrs. Spohn would like the cars better if they all actually RAN?

A foul calumny, Madam!

I have 7 that run and 2 that don't, because they are part way through restoration (OK, one of the ones that 'runs' is on jackstands having the rear brakes done, but it would run...)

That is not a bad proportion.

And do tell how many shoes you are able to wear at once......(besides which, I recall that your family also has more vehicles than people and more cats than many small countries...)

[img]http://www.techhelpers.net/e4u/animal/1089.gif[/img][img]http://www.techhelpers.net/e4u/animal/1089.gif[/img][img]http://www.techhelpers.net/e4u/animal/1089.gif[/img][img]http://www.techhelpers.net/e4u/animal/1089.gif[/img][img]http://www.techhelpers.net/e4u/animal/1089.gif[/img][img]http://www.techhelpers.net/e4u/animal/1089.gif[/img]
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:17 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Robin, do you mind if I one day soon hijack the wine board and post a few notes on Cantillon? I've tasted through quite a range recently and I think if any beers, these are ones which will appeal to wine lovers as well.

I don't mind at all, Otto! We decided not to break up the new WLDG into smaller bits as we tried on Netscape, so there's no separate forum for beer or liquor or coffee, tea and other drinks. Nevertheless, if it is good to drink, you are welcome to discuss it and even post TNs. :)
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Thanks everyone...now I'm fretting about my cellar's lack of Tasmanian Pinot Noir and Cantillon beer.

Jenise--I kind of like the phrase myself. I've ended up on too many lists for California PN, but really don't want to drop any. I guess I'll have to drink and share more.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:43 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Jenise wrote:And do you suppose Mrs. Spohn would like the cars better if they all actually RAN?

A foul calumny, Madam!

I have 7 that run and 2 that don't, because they are part way through restoration (OK, one of the ones that 'runs' is on jackstands having the rear brakes done, but it would run...)

Reminds me of a friend who likes his motorbikes.

His wife despaired of having 5-6 bikes spread across shed, garage and garden (occasionally encroaching into the house). Little did she know of the 10-15 spread across a complex network of friends, rotated at regular intervals, so she'd never realise.

Now don't let that give you ideas Bill!

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Tim Steffens

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu May 11, 2006 1:51 pm

Moscow, Idaho

by Tim Steffens » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:53 pm

Yeah, welcome Tim/neighbour. Bob here from Alberta!!
Glad to see you are a Riesling man, no problem finding them in your area? What are the favs?!!

Hi Bob! We have a great wine shop here in Moscow (Moscow Wine Company) that has a good selection of German Rieslings and a few from Oz. Love pretty much all German's and the very dry Oz style as typified by the Grosset Polish Hill Riesling. I just love how the German's go with spicy food esp. the Spats/Aus styles.
no avatar
User

Tim Steffens

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu May 11, 2006 1:51 pm

Moscow, Idaho

by Tim Steffens » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:00 pm

Tim, welcome to the gang. You know what, 592 is pretty impressive for someone who calls themselves a beginner. And you have a pretty international collection for a beginner, too. I'd say you're definitely an intermediate

Thanks Jenise. I have been lucky to get exposure to a large variety of wines here in Moscow; with a great Wine store and involvement in the Palouse Chapter of the NW Enology Society. I guess I am intermediate, but always feel as a beginner with so many wines to try and too little time and money.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Otto Nieminen wrote:Robin, do you mind if I one day soon hijack the wine board and post a few notes on Cantillon? I've tasted through quite a range recently and I think if any beers, these are ones which will appeal to wine lovers as well.

I don't mind at all, Otto! We decided not to break up the new WLDG into smaller bits as we tried on Netscape, so there's no separate forum for beer or liquor or coffee, tea and other drinks. Nevertheless, if it is good to drink, you are welcome to discuss it and even post TNs. :)

OK, good. So please advise how to title posting notes relating to 101. Is it TN in the title or WTN?
eg TN: `03 Merlot Frogs Hiccup or do you want WTN blah blah

Afterthought, dangerous! I guess maybe posting will relate to WT 101 so should read.....WT101 `03 Merlot blah blah?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:24 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I have 7 that run and 2 that don't

And do they all have batteries? And good tires (she asked suspiciously, remembering spending part of one afternoon as a traffic hazard in the middle of the Lions Gate Bridge)?

That is not a bad proportion.

You're so lucky she hasn't had them all towed off.

And do tell how many shoes you are able to wear at once.....

Four.

I recall that your family also has more vehicles than people

Three. And a golf cart named Mr. Toad on which I have installed a chiller bucket, and holders for two bottles and four glasses. Mr. Toad is very popular.

and more cats than many small countries...)

Which will get me into heaven. Your cars might send you the other direction, if but for the increased swearing. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:38 pm

Tim Steffens wrote:Thanks Jenise. I have been lucky to get exposure to a large variety of wines here in Moscow; with a great Wine store and involvement in the Palouse Chapter of the NW Enology Society. I guess I am intermediate, but always feel as a beginner with so many wines to try and too little time and money.

Tim, sounds like you have the perfect combination of opportunities. As to feeling like a beginner--I do know what you mean. The more you learn, the more you realize there is far more to learn than you thought. That's why the distance from beginner to intermediate can be relatively short, whereas becoming an expert? That takes the rest of your life. :)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:50 pm

Jenise wrote:
And do they all have batteries? And good tires (she asked suspiciously, remembering spending part of one afternoon as a traffic hazard in the middle of the Lions Gate Bridge)?

Yes, and the tire incident involved my daily driver not one of the collector's pieces. I'm sure it was changed in record time as I recall a certain cat lady watching it all with stopwatch in hand.

Which will get me into heaven.

I doubt it - I have it on good authority that God is a dog owner (think about it - does 'God' spelled backward = cat? I think not!!) and merely tolerates cat owners.....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:10 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Yes, and the tire incident involved my daily driver not one of the collector's pieces.

Well, I would not know. It is the only time I have ridden with you: one ride, one flat. I can only assume you have a flat tire every time you drive over that bridge! But yes, you did valiantly change it in an impressively short period of time. Only two people stopped to offer us water. :)

I doubt it - I have it on good authority that God is a dog owner (think about it - does 'God' spelled backward = cat? I think not!!)

God might be a dog owner, but the Goddess likes cats. :wink:
no avatar
User

Graeme Gee

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:13 am

Sydney, Australia

by Graeme Gee » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:48 pm

Embarrassingly perhaps, but geographically justifiable, my cellar comprises 80% Australia, 11% France, 5% Germany, 2% NZ and 1% Italy. The 415 bottle total (66% red) includes all quaffers (all local origin), so although the average cost of A$37 is quite high, just the foreign wines would be over $60 easily.

At least the Australian split is wide, nearly 20 regions, and includes significant chunks of riesling and semillon. McLaren Vale bottles are in single figures!

I'd like more old-world wines, even a few regular drinkers, but when Guigal CdR kicks off around A$23, Dr L QbA is A$20, Antinori's Peppoli costs A$30, you can see where the problem is; very serviceable Clare rieslings can be had for A$12, and the grape glut has led to plenty of respectable SA and Victorian reds going for A$15.

cheers,
Graeme
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:51 pm

Me got red; me got white; me got pink; me like; me drink.

The End.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:07 am

Randy Buckner wrote:Me got red; me got white; me got pink; me like; me drink.

The End.

Cranky and cro-magnon?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:07 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:Cantillon 10% - it rocks like Musar!

Otto,
I am more of a beer snob than I am a wine snob. The only beer I drink is Belgium ales and one English ale. Currently have a case of ’05 GOUDEN CAROLUS and a couple of '04s. They get better with a couple years age.
Walt
PreviousNext