The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Garretson, Fox Creek, Soljans.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

WTN: Garretson, Fox Creek, Soljans.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:46 am

`03 Fox Creek Verdelho (Aust).

This varietal is no longer a newcomer on the shelves of Oz wine and up here in N Alberta, we are lucky to have a fair selection. Pale straw in colour, nose of lemon zest, pears and green apples. Light to medium bodied, hints of honeysuckle. Has some waxy pear and citrus fruit, very nice tongue- tingling finish. Look out for the Maxwell and the Bremerton.

`05 G White, Central Coast--Garretson.

Another winner from Mr. Viognier who hangs out here from time to time!!
Equal blend of Viognier and Rousanne, SC and 13% alc. Appears to come from Paso Robles and Santa Barbara. Medium straw colour, nose has hints of honeysuckle and apricots. Semi-dry, crisp and lively with excellent flavours of peach,melon and nutty. Long finish that is memorable, a nice portfolio to choose from here.

`04 Sauv Blanc Marlborough--Soljans.

Bit of a disappointment at a recent "new winelist" tasting. I expected a lot more from this one, the herbs and grass tended to dominate the finish. But it was poured after the terrific Staedt Lande SB which in my mind sets the standard for this varietal these days. Light straw in colour, herby spice nose. Green olives, high acidity and some greenness did not find much favour with my fellow-tasters. Maybe next year, check again.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Garretson, Fox Creek, Soljans.

by Jenise » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:44 pm

Bob, I recently tried that verdelho and didn't care for it much. Had a fair bit of RS on the finish and not nearly enough acidity to clean it up. Doesn't sound like your wine at all.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:04 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:`04 Sauv Blanc Marlborough--Soljans.

Bit of a disappointment at a recent "new winelist" tasting. I expected a lot more from this one, the herbs and grass tended to dominate the finish. But it was poured after the terrific Staedt Lande SB which in my mind sets the standard for this varietal these days. Light straw in colour, herby spice nose. Green olives, high acidity and some greenness did not find much favour with my fellow-tasters. Maybe next year, check again.

Soljans '04 might be new for the 'winelist', Bob, but the wine ain't new. Many Marlborough 2006's are being released as I speak, so this wine is now 2 years old. Some winemakers recommend that sauv blanc been drunk while young - preferably in its current vintage life cycle, although I partially disagree as the *good* SB's from 2004 should be still OK. In fact I had a Tohu Sauv Blanc 2004 the other day and it was pretty darn good. And although the 2006's are being released most of the 2005's are still delicious and vibrant (screwcaps are helping here). However I think the Soljans 2004 is one of those wines that should have been drunk last year. Now, if you can find the 2005 Soljans Marlborough Sauv Blanc, you will be pleasantly surprised as to its far superior quality and possibly better longevity potential.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:03 pm

I have had some bottle variations with Fox Creek over time. Also Maxwell which is being discounted! A first in these parts.

BTW think I have the wrong vintage for the Fox Creek, could have been the `02??
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:25 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:`04 Sauv Blanc Marlborough--Soljans.

Soljans '04 might be new for the 'winelist', Bob, but the wine ain't new. Many Marlborough 2006's are being released as I speak, so this wine is now 2 years old. Some winemakers recommend that sauv blanc been drunk while young - preferably in its current vintage life cycle, although I partially disagree as the *good* SB's from 2004 should be still OK. In fact I had a Tohu Sauv Blanc 2004 the other day and it was pretty darn good. And although the 2006's are being released most of the 2005's are still delicious and vibrant (screwcaps are helping here). However I think the Soljans 2004 is one of those wines that should have been drunk last year. Now, if you can find the 2005 Soljans Marlborough Sauv Blanc, you will be pleasantly surprised as to its far superior quality and possibly better longevity potential.

Cheers,
Sue

When I said new, I was referring to wines for the winelist we have not featured before on that list!! The Soljans I tried again, did not do it for me this time around.

Oh, have just poured another glass of the Garretson. Still hanging in after 48 hrs (vacu-vin).
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:37 pm

Jenise, I have a bottle (minus one glass) of the Chapel Hill, Mclaren Vale, (Aus) verdelho sitting in the fridge as I type. This wine is exactly as you reported in your experience with the wine that Bob reported on. Mine also had way too much rs for my taste and way too little acidity, almost flabby IMO. Purchased at $7 per 750ml and I won't be back for more. Reminded me of viognier grown in by someone who knew nothing about the grape.
Bob Henrick