The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Decanter Five-star rating for 2002 Chateau Greysac!?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

Decanter Five-star rating for 2002 Chateau Greysac!?

by Covert » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:14 am

An oxymoron? Is Decanter on acid? Are they in cahoots with producers and taking a cut?: First with Lynch Moussas and now the heretofore even lowlier Greysac. And I posted a couple of encomiums for the 2001. Has there been some sort of miraculous change at the chateau? Am I vindicated somewhat? But Winesearcher doesn't list any merchants having any!? What is going on?
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: Decanter Five-star rating for 2002 Chateau Greysac!?

by Randy Buckner » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:23 am

Here's what Suckling said FWIW, Covert:

Some decent berry and cherry character, with a hint of fresh herbs. Light-bodied, with good tannins and a medium finish. Better than expected. Score range: 80-84
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:41 am

Did this come from a print copy? Decanter website doesn't show 2002.

In any case, unless I've mistaken, Decanter scores while factoring in vintage, "class", and price. So a 5 star $13 Cru Bourg. is not supposed to be better than a 3-star $100 supersecond. It just means that it's a very good effort for the vintage in its class.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:52 am

Dale Williams wrote:Did this come from a print copy? Decanter website doesn't show 2002.

In any case, unless I've mistaken, Decanter scores while factoring in vintage, "class", and price. So a 5 star $13 Cru Bourg. is not supposed to be better than a 3-star $100 supersecond. It just means that it's a very good effort for the vintage in its class.

It comes from the latest (July) printed copy, but with a qualification. The rating came from what appears to be a combined reader/staff tasting of a recent "Decanter's Great Bordeaux Fine Wine Encounter" event in London.

I am sure you are right about the rating going by class, as that is how it is usually done. Haven't read the article yet, since I am supposed to be working; but the five-stars next to that name got my attention. I'm chasing what my wife and I have for years referred to as 14-dollar bottles, which Greysac fits perfectly, to bridge the drinkability gap between my depleted 1997s and almost everything else I have in my cellar, save a few 1999s that are drinking fine right now.