The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mas de Gourgonnier, Pepiere, Potel

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Mas de Gourgonnier, Pepiere, Potel

by Dale Williams » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:07 pm

A couple al fresco meals:

2005 Mas de Gourgonnier Rosé (Baux de Provence)
With a grilled dish of turkey stuffed with spinach and feta, salad, and asparagus, this old rosé favorite. Nice strawberry and bitter cherry fruit, reasonably crisp, but this is a disappointment to me based on earlier vintages. Decent rosé for $12, but there are other rosés out there I like better (Il Mimo), are as good but cheaper (Chivite), or the combo- better and cheaper (Ch. d'Oupia). Still, not bad. B

2005 Domaine de la Pepiere Muscadet
With a seafood salad (grilled squid, shrimp, tomatos, etc) & grilled corn. I'd heard very positive reports (well, rumors) on this, hints it might even surpass the 2004. As I'm sipping, I decide to disagree. Nice enough Muscadet, with good acidity, ligt mineral notes, a rather creamy texture. But I think I definitely prefer the 2004. I'm explaining this to Betsy (who listens patiently to my wine opinions, even if I'm boring her) as I refill my glass again. Wait a damn minute. The acidity is there, the creaminess is there, but now the light mineral notes are more a seashore full of crushed shells- chalk, limestone, seabreeze all intertwined. Still not sure that this is better than the 2004, but it's at least as good, and I can slurp down my last few 2004s knowing a stellar replacement awaits. The 2005 gets a A-/B+

Tonight was too sticky for patio dining, but with enjoyed a duck breast salad and some pasta with pesto in the AC. The wine for the sauce and the dinner was the 2004 Nicolas Potel ''Cuvee Gerard Potel'' Bourgogne Rouge. I didn't like this quite as much as first time. Nice black cherry fruit, a little spice, but a bit short on the finish. Ok, not great. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.  
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Mas de Gourgonnier, Pepiere, Potel

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:49 pm

2 notes on Pepiere on the same day!! Up here, we are still waiting for the `04 vintage!! Can`t these ships go faster? "Better put her up to ten knots cap`t..those lumberjacks need the Musky deck!!"
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:36 am

Sorry to hear the Gourgonnier is not up to snuff. It's been a reliable label for quite some time now.

Re Potel: You're much too charitable. Here's my rather curt note: "Shy nose. On the palate a thin, sharp cherry note. And that's all. This stuff is supposed to go for $13. No thanks."
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:56 am

Dave,

While Burg tends to bring out the most opposing opinions, I'm a little surprised you found it thin - I didn't find it at all fruit-deficient. I thought it a decent Bourgogne (though I'm looking forward to trying some more serious 2004 Bourgogne ACs like Lafarge, Chevillon, Roumier, Marechale, etc) . Chacun a son gout. :)
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:10 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Dave,

Chacun a son gout. :)

But of course!

And, as someone once said, there are no great vintages, only great bottles.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:35 pm

Was that Pepiere the standard bottling or the Cuvee Eden?

Our local wine shop just got the 2005 Cuvee Eden. I bought a couple of bottles, and I'm planning to open one this weekend. I've enjoyed the standard bottling in the past, but it is unavailable right now. I've never tried the Eden before, and I am looking forward to it.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:32 pm

Regular Pepiere.
Look forward to notes on the Eden!
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:38 pm

I've never tried the Eden before, and I am looking forward to it.

Carole and I prefer it to the regular, but purchased a case of each.