The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1995 Olivier Leflaive Clos Des Angles Volnay 1er Cru

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

WTN: 1995 Olivier Leflaive Clos Des Angles Volnay 1er Cru

by Covert » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:40 am

I drink so few Bougognes that I don’t even know how to talk about them. Last night we decided to go light because I have to work all day today. So instead of our usual bottle of Bordeaux and bottle of Chardonnay, we attempted to plunk something in the middle and drink just one bottle. Opted for 1995 Olivier Leflaive Clos Des Angles Volnay 1er Cru. Even chilled it a little so that it might feel more like Chardonnay.

I don’t think it would be considered to be a very good wine by everybody. Maybe the antithesis of New World Pinot. Not much fruit. Amber. Acidic and a little thin, but with a comfortable, fine silk feel. A little tertiary rubber on the nose, a lot of cedar and a spicy, mildly citrus finish. Just a very nice feeling going down. It is my kind of Bourgogne.

I said this is a food wine, by God! and promptly called Applebee’s to order some grilled salmon, broccoli and rice take-out, which I have never done before. My wife somehow knew that it was possible. Used all my horsepower and ran a red light to retrieve it before the wine in my glass even warmed and found it to be delightful with the wine.
no avatar
User

Bonnie in Holland

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:35 am

The Netherlands

Re: WTN: 1995 Olivier Leflaive Clos Des Angles Volnay 1er Cru

by Bonnie in Holland » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:33 pm

Covert,
My thinking is that Olivier Leflaive wines are more for drinking young and that 1995 may just be pushing it. I have a O. Leflaive 1998 Volnay Taillepieds 1er cru n the cellar (3 bottles left) that is around its peak and planning on drinking this year....(personal opinion, of course).
cheers, Bonnie
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: 1995 Olivier Leflaive Clos Des Angles Volnay 1er Cr

by Saina » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:49 pm

Bonnie, my (very few) experiences with O Leflaive are similar. Nice enough wines, but mid-term keepers at best. Nothing wrong with drinking some wines young.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:22 am

Bonnie in Holland wrote:Covert,
1995 may just be pushing it...(personal opinion, of course).

Yes, "Wine is a broad church" (Hugh Johnson). But regardless of my personal opinion, if my wife likes a wine, it ain't pushing it. She likes them a lot younger than I do.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:01 pm

Applebees? Take-OUT? This is a side of you we haven't seen before. :P
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov