The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Anyone have information on this grape - Zengo?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Anyone have information on this grape - Zengo?

by Brian Gilp » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:54 pm

Can't seem to find anything on this grape on the net. Its not listed in any of my books including the World Atlas of Wine. The description from the back label is below and as far as taste goes fairly accurate. Well worth the $13 I paid for a good summer white. Just curious to know more.

Monarchia Cellars Zen is a medium-bodied dry white wine with a bouquet of ripe peaches and pears, beautifully handcrafted by Monarchia's Head Winemaker, Tamas Pok. It comes from the Eger region, named for the baroque town of Eger, best known for Egri Bikaver, or Bull's Blood.

Monarchia Cellars Zen is 100% Zengo, a Hungarian varietal featured in its premiere vintage with this new bottling. The wine is packed with flavors of ripe pear and peach.

Monarchia Cellars Zen is a wonderful white wine to pair with spicy, Asian-style dishes, grilled white meats and fish.
no avatar
User

Arnt Egil Nordlien

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:49 pm

Oslo

Re: Anyone have information on this grape - Zengo?

by Arnt Egil Nordlien » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:26 pm

Zengo is a crossing of the two grapes Ezerjo and Bouvier (another crossing is Zenit). It was made in 1951 and are found planted on some 300 Ha in Hungary. It is said to thrive well in vulcanic soil and to give fullbodied wine and has high sugar-content. I can't tell as I never have tasted one.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:34 pm

Well now that one stumped me completely, and I love Hungarian wine! Thanks to Arnt for coming to the rescue.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:27 pm

Thanks Arnt. This is the only one I have ever tried. Body was medium to full. Alcohol was listed as 13% and it tasted just a touch sweet on the finish. To me it tasted like it had about 0.65% residual.