The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Thinking of opening a Muscadet !!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Thinking of opening a Muscadet !!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:56 am

I have some good looking shrimp in the freezer and need a "merlot break". Still waiting for the `04 Pepiere to arrive up here but have a couple of other muscs to taste!
Anyone out there in the muscadet mode right now?

BTW I seem to have a serious white wine problem right now! Have just been out there buying too many and they seem to be piling up!! Probably have around 9 mixed cases of the stuff...Germany, Alsace, Oz Rieslings, Viogniers from all over the place, Pinot Gris, S French whites, the list goes on!!
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: Thinking of opening a Muscadet !!

by Redwinger » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:10 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:...BTW I seem to have a serious white wine problem right now! Have just been out there buying too many and they seem to be piling up!! Probably have around 9 mixed cases of the stuff...Germany, Alsace, Oz Rieslings, Viogniers from all over the place, Pinot Gris, S French whites, the list goes on!!

Bob,

That sounds like a good thing to me...no?

I recently had a 2004 Chereau Carre Muscadet that was quite nice. Perhaps not quite on the level of Pepiere, but quite quaffable. This bottle was a distributor sample so I don't have any pricing info.
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:28 am

Which ones are you thinking of opening.

Had the 03 Bossard Granite yesterday, which was quite enjoyable, sappy, and even a bit of freshness..
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:29 am

Thanks Bill. is there a big difference in the `03 and `04 vintage? Think the `03s are not as dry as they are supposed to be due to the warmer conditions.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:33 am

Bob,
I'm far from an expert on Muscadet, but based upon my experience. the 04's have delivered far more enjoyment than the '03s. I guess it's a vintage thing. :D
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:08 am

we are getting into the 05's here in michigan. so far seems superior to '04 and certainly to '03.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:11 pm

Thanks David, in your opinion how untypical were the `03s?!!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:32 pm

Bob,
This is a problem? Would that all our problems were of this type! If you don't know what to do with them I can give you an address in Maryland to send a case or to off as olive oil of course.
Cheers!
James
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:36 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Thanks David, in your opinion how untypical were the `03s?!!

Not David but hope you don't mind if I jump in. 03, like elsewhere, lacked acidity. And acidity is what Muscadet (and all wines, actually and naturally) is about.

And good for you for drinking my darling Muscadet :) I've been having problems getting M here, so I've only drunk a case during the past ½ year. I would usually go through more.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:10 am

i probably wouldn't have been able to identify most of them blind. heavy without being really flavorful. what actually puzzles me is how they managed to stay under the 12.5% alcohol maximum allowed by the appellation! did they get a special dispensation from the authorities to go over? meleoration?
david creighton
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:55 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Thanks David, in your opinion how untypical were the `03s?!!

Not David but hope you don't mind if I jump in. 03, like elsewhere, lacked acidity. And acidity is what Muscadet (and all wines, actually and naturally) is about.

And good for you for drinking my darling Muscadet :) I've been having problems getting M here, so I've only drunk a case during the past ½ year. I would usually go through more.

Here is a new one just on the shelves......`03 Chateau de Chasseloir, Bernard Chereau.
Local wine store is raving about this one, still no sign of the Pepiere although I hear the ship bringing it over is going faster.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:19 pm

creightond wrote:i probably wouldn't have been able to identify most of them blind. heavy without being really flavorful. what actually puzzles me is how they managed to stay under the 12.5% alcohol maximum allowed by the appellation! did they get a special dispensation from the authorities to go over? meleoration?

Garden hose???

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:14 am

The `03 Ch de Chasseloir, Chereau Carre..cuvee des ceps centenaire. Nice shrimp to go with it!! Hows that Rahsaan, replying to your question of the other day!!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:27 am

he `03 Ch de Chasseloir, Chereau Carre..cuvee des ceps centenaire. Nice shrimp to go with it!! Hows that Rahsaan, replying to your question of the other day!!

But how was it?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:55 am

Rahsaan, will post some notes when I can find my scribblings on the `03 Pepiere. However I found it quite gluggable after a tough day in the Grills. Bit ripe and had some nice melon and apple. The finish was very good if a tad sweet. Some grass and herbyness reminded me of a SB. I will be looking out for the `04 from these guys. Probably on the same slow tug boat as the Pepiere.
no avatar
User

SFJoe

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:54 pm

by SFJoe » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:42 pm

The '03s are huge outliers in Muscadet, certainly unlike anything that I have tried going back into the '60s. Some people made good wine, but the heat made for weirdly fat wines, some with roasted/cooked mineral flavors that are not my favorite.