The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Patrick Bottex "La Cueille" Vin du Bugey-Cerdon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

WTN: Patrick Bottex "La Cueille" Vin du Bugey-Cerdon

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:20 am

In a town known mostly for canned tomatoes, cowbells, and state government employees, we don't see a lot of Bugey-Cerdon. When I spotted this at Corti Bros I had to grab a couple of bottles and give it a try.

There's an attractive label with a lot of stuff on it:

Vin du Bugey-Cerdon, NV, La Cueille, Methode Ancestrale, Patrick Bottex. 8% alcohol, $16.99. Imported by Kermit Lynch.

Electric strawberry kool-aid color. Much foam upon pouring. Lots of rather coarse bubbles. Heavy nose of strawberry jam with a little bit of a musky character. Hits the mouth with intense cherry-strawberry flavors and a sucrose-y sweetness. Full body, reasonable balance. Finishes clean and dry with a little chalkiness.

Overall, I was only somewhat impressed. Of course, I was not looking for a profound experience but I wanted a little more given the price. I think this would make a great alternative to an off-dry prosecco if it were about $5 cheaper. As it is, it's a fun wine and I don't regret buying it. We'll drink the other bottle, but I doubt I'll go get more.

Interestingly, my wife found a sour note in the finish that really turned her off. It didn't come off that way for me, but that's wine for ya.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jim Vandegriff

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:33 am

Trinidad, CA

Re: WTN: Patrick Bottex "La Cueille" Vin du Bugey-Cerdon

by Jim Vandegriff » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:57 am

I've tried a couple of Vin du Bugey-Cerdon's besides the Renardat-Fache version, and haven't been as impressed with any besides that winery's. I haven't had loads of experience though, but with summer here, it would be nice to have more to try. Thanks for the note, Jim
in Trinidad, CA, by the sea
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:25 am

Unfortunately it seems as if our inner price calibrations may have to change in the upcoming years..

But I agree with you
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:11 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Unfortunately it seems as if our inner price calibrations may have to change in the upcoming years..

But I agree with you

I try to re-calibrate on some sort of reasonable schedule, but I can't seem to keep up!

:D

Mike

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:13 pm

Mike, the Bottex was the first Bugey I tried, and I didn't like it as well as the Renardat Fache (the Bottex was by comparison both sweeter and simpler) I later acquired. So mostly inadvertently, the second bottle of the Bottex got lost for a year or so. We had it last month and were surprised by how much it had improved. The overt sweetness had pulled back and there was all kinds of minerality to it. This would, of course, be a different vintage so it wouldn't neccessarily track, but maybe this producer's wines really do benefit from a little time.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:43 pm

Jenise wrote:Mike, the Bottex was the first Bugey I tried, and I didn't like it as well as the Renardat Fache (the Bottex was by comparison both sweeter and simpler) I later acquired. So mostly inadvertently, the second bottle of the Bottex got lost for a year or so. We had it last month and were surprised by how much it had improved. The overt sweetness had pulled back and there was all kinds of minerality to it. This would, of course, be a different vintage so it wouldn't neccessarily track, but maybe this producer's wines really do benefit from a little time.

Dang! I had stuck the second bottle in the fridge to take to a friend's place for a barbeque tonight. Now I'll have to find something else.... :wink:

Mike

- Julia Child