The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Raymond Reserve Cabernet 1997

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

WTN: Raymond Reserve Cabernet 1997

by OW Holmes » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:39 pm

This is one of those rare exceptions when the '98 was more highly rated, at least by all I saw, than the '97. Unh uhhh! This '97 was really great. Consumed on a deck overlooking the swollen waters of the Little Manistee river, wondering when the hell the waters would recede enough to fly fish productively, and no notes taken, but this was blackberry, cassis, a little mint, a little grilled mushroom, nice texture, good acid balance, long finish, and just perfect at this age. Tasted in nice company, both people and wine wise, and glowing comments by all. I've had the '98 and it is no '97. Nice surprise. I know there's another down there in the cellar someplace.
I'm thinking there must be something to this travel shock thing. A friend brings his wine from Detroit, some 3 1/2 hours away on some not real smooth roads. I come from much closer, on very nice smooth roads. My wines don't seem to suffer. His are always disappointing to both him and to me. We both brought a mixed 'backup" case to the club at the beginning of the trout season, and all of them are great. I mean in great condition like fresh out of my cellar and not necessarily great wine.
Sorry about the rambling.
So who is going to MoCOOL?
-OW
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: Raymond Reserve Cabernet 1997

by Howie Hart » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:48 am

Ahhh - Raymond. Everybody loves Raymond. :lol: One of the finest bottles of wine I've ever had was a '74 Raymond that my wife and I enjoyed when her brother brought us back a bottle in '78. I'm looking forward to opening the bottle of '99 that is in my cellar right now.