The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Robert Mondavi

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Robert Mondavi

by SteveEdmunds » Fri May 16, 2008 2:25 pm

I just learned that Robert Mondavi died early this morning, at age 94. I worked for his winery for a year, back in the mid-70's, and got to know him a bit, and I can say, in hindsight, it was in no small part his vision and drive, and his success that made it possible for someone like me to even imagine being able to explore winemaking in the manner that I have. He was larger than life, in a way, and we're all better off for his having been among us.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Robert Mondavi

by Mark Lipton » Fri May 16, 2008 3:09 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:I just learned that Robert Mondavi died early this morning, at age 94. I worked for his winery for a year, back in the mid-70's, and got to know him a bit, and I can say, in hindsight, it was in no small part his vision and drive, and his success that made it possible for someone like me to even imagine being able to explore winemaking in the manner that I have. He was larger than life, in a way, and we're all better off for his having been among us.

Thanks for the update, Steve. It's sad to witness the passing of one of the last of that generation of CA winemakers. I can't imagine that his last few years were all that fun, seeing all that he'd worked for taken away from him, but his imprint on the industry he left behind is undeniable.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri May 16, 2008 4:03 pm

Looks like I may be opening a Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon this weekend in tribute to a great man.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri May 16, 2008 4:12 pm

The loss of one of the true pioneers of American wine. Can't do it tonight, but will open a Mondavi CS (alas, no Reserves in my cellar).
The family had its struggles, but truly at the heart of the Napa story.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri May 16, 2008 4:26 pm

My best friend worked for the Mondavi winery during the winery's prime and was in a position close to all the Mondavi clan. She has many stories of her time there much of which doesn't show the sons in very good light, but for Mr. Mondavi she's shown nothing but praise and respect. Clearly, he was bigger than life even to those who saw him every day. Of few men can that be said.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri May 16, 2008 5:25 pm

Shame. I hate to see the good ones go. They are so few.

I edited this post.

I originally said I was going to pop a '90 PR in his honor for tonight.

But, then when I realized he was 94 I decided the 94 PR would be more appropriate. That's what it'll be.

Here's to a classy fellow!
Last edited by ChefJCarey on Fri May 16, 2008 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Fri May 16, 2008 5:26 pm

Wow.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri May 16, 2008 8:45 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:I just learned that Robert Mondavi died early this morning, at age 94. I worked for his winery for a year, back in the mid-70's, and got to know him a bit, and I can say, in hindsight, it was in no small part his vision and drive, and his success that made it possible for someone like me to even imagine being able to explore winemaking in the manner that I have. He was larger than life, in a way, and we're all better off for his having been among us.

I heard this on NPR as I was driving home this evening. RIP Mr. Mondavi.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri May 16, 2008 10:27 pm

So long to a pioneer and a true gentleman.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Michael Russell

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:55 am

San Diego

by Michael Russell » Sat May 17, 2008 12:49 am

I was saddened to learn about Robert Mondavi's death. What a character; what a wonderful ambassador for California's heavenly nectar. I only hope that Continuum lives up to the man, the myth, the wine legend: Robert Mondavi. RIP Robert Mondavi: thank you!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat May 17, 2008 1:08 am

As a coincidence, I had been planning to open the 1997 Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon tonight, and, this made it more poignant. Although, it was much better than I expected. For whatever that's worth.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sat May 17, 2008 6:59 pm

The most effective and revered spokesman the CA wine industry has ever had. My wife and I were fortunate to receive an invitation to his 90th birthday party at his winery a few years ago. Bob never did anything half way, what a class shindig.
When I went to lunch at Don Giovanni yesterday( a restaurant that he attended frequently) the locals were quieter than usual. A sad day. :(
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Sun May 18, 2008 10:53 am

We toasted the life and many contributions of Robert Mondavi last night with the 1994 Robt Mondavi Res Cab,a wonderful wine, a wonderful man..
Jon
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sun May 18, 2008 6:51 pm

Jon Leifer wrote:We toasted the life and many contributions of Robert Mondavi last night with the 1994 Robt Mondavi Res Cab,a wonderful wine, a wonderful man..

Me, too. Cheers.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT