Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Shrimp-crusted halibut with spicy asparagus salad

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Shrimp-crusted halibut with spicy asparagus salad

by Jenise » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:23 pm

Here's an elegant summer dish from Ming Tsai. I deviated from the recipe and reserved half the shrimp to mince and fold back into the mousse--I was wanting that coarser texture that's typical in my experience on Chinese Shrimp Toasts.

For four servings:

Four 6-0z. halibut fillets
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 1/4 cups Shrimp Mousse - see recipe below
1/2 Tblsp grapeseed or canola oil
1 lb. thin asparagus, blanched, shocked in ice water and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 tsp sambal
Juice of 2 limes (about 1/4 cup)
1/2 Tblsp. olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 400º. Season the halibut on both sides with salt and pepper and spread a 1/3-inch layer of Shrimp Mousse on one side of the fish fillets.

2. In a large ovenproof, nonstick skillet, heat the grapeseed or canola oil. Add the halibut, mousse side down, and cook until lightly browned, about 2 min. Turn the fillets. Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast the fish for about 8 min. or until just cooked through.

3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss the asparagus with the sambal, lime juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Mound the Asparagus on plates, top with the halibut and serve.

Shrimp Mousse (note this makes four cups; make 1/3 of :

1/2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled & deveined
1 large eggs
5 tblsp cold unsalted butter cut into 1/8" pieces
1 tsp truffle oil
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground white pepper

In a food processor, blend the shrimp and egg until almost smooth. Add the butter, truffle oil and salt and white pepper. Pulse until the butter is incorporated but small pieces are still visible. This can be made up to two days ahead.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: RCP: Shrimp-crusted halibut with spicy asparagus salad

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:41 pm

Oh, my ...

How I wish Mary liked shrimp.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:24 am

Didn't she forgive shrimp for being shrimp when you wrapped them inside a thin piece of pork and rolled them--or something like that? Maybe she'd forgive it here, in paste form.

Btw, I forgot one other step I added--I put a light dusting of cornstarch on the surface of the halibut to improve adhesion. Didn't want that shrimp mousse separating and sliding off once it was cooked, as I feared it might. Haven't done it the other way so I don't know if it would or not, but my instincts about these things are usually good, so better safe than sorry.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:11 pm

Jenise wrote:Didn't she forgive shrimp for being shrimp when you wrapped them inside a thin piece of pork and rolled them--or something like that? Maybe she'd forgive it here, in paste form.

Oops, missed this the other day, I'm sorry. I sort of tease Mary about her shrimp phobia. It's not really that bad - she doesn't mind if I make shrimp dishes as long as the shrimp component can be either picked out or scraped off.

On a completely different tangent, my friend Karen mentioned an interesting dish she had with friends at a Minneapolis eatery recently that sounds like a very similar concept to this dish: Crab-crusted salmon! I wonder if we're seeing a new culinary trend starting up here.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:49 pm

Crab encrusted salmon. The seafood version of turducken.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:33 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Crab encrusted salmon. The seafood version of turducken.

Only if you put a shrimp in its tummy ...
no avatar
User

Skye Astara

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:38 pm

Coastal Oregon

by Skye Astara » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:35 pm

My favourite Thai restaurant has a wonderful dish- very large shrimp, skewered, coated with minced crab and, if I recall correctly, chicken. Deep fried, served with peanut sauce to dip.

They are amazing.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:17 am

very large shrimp, skewered, coated with minced crab and, if I recall correctly, chicken. Deep fried...

There ya go, Robin!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:07 pm

This brings to mind a dish I had at a restaurant in Nogales, Sonora. They took a bunch of large shrimp and butterflied them. They took one, rolled it up, and laid it on its side. Then they wrapped another around it. Then another, and so on, until they had what amounted to a big shrimp patty about 6" in diameter and the thickness of one of the butterflied shrimp on its side (an inch or so). They wrapped bacon around the edge of the patty and then grilled it. If you could raise shrimp to be the size of beef cattle, this would be what their filet mignons would be like (and the dish was called shrimp mignon). Very tasty, but I could only eat about half of the thing.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:59 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:There ya go, Robin!

Erpppp ... I think I just became a vegetarian ...