The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

A Wednesday night surprise...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

A Wednesday night surprise...

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:51 pm

As is often the case with a memorable wine, they sneakup on you when you least expect it. Tonight I decided to open my only bottle of '98 Virgin Hills (AUS) that we aquired when in Boston 2 years ago when we picked up some '00 Bdx futures. This wine was a carbon copy of a '98 Bel Air Bdx Superior only better. At 12.5% ABV and somewhere close to its peak it was sublime. showing lots of damp earth, leather and ample black fruit. No doubt a Bdx blend and a well done effort. Served with a pork tenderloin and finished with a fresh blackberry cobbler, perfect!!
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

Re: A Wednesday night surprise...

by OW Holmes » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:48 am

Richard Fadeley wrote:As is often the case with a memorable wine, they sneakup on you when you least expect it.

That is one of the most fun experiences in being a wino - opening an unassuming wine you've had in the cellar for a couple of years, and finding pure pleasure. It doesn't happen often - just twice this year, a '98 Ch. St. Martin and a '99 Allegrini Palazzo Della Torre- but it's really fun when it does.
-OW
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:27 am

Richard Fadeley wrote:As is often the case with a memorable wine, they sneakup on you when you least expect it. Tonight I decided to open my only bottle of '98 Virgin Hills (AUS) that we aquired when in Boston 2 years ago when we picked up some '00 Bdx futures. This wine was a carbon copy of a '98 Bel Air Bdx Superior only better. At 12.5% ABV and somewhere close to its peak it was sublime. showing lots of damp earth, leather and ample black fruit. No doubt a Bdx blend and a well done effort. Served with a pork tenderloin and finished with a fresh blackberry cobbler, perfect!!

I have a bottle of this sitting in the cellar. I think it's time for a little celabrating! Thank you for this timely note!
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:33 pm

OW Holmes wrote:
Richard Fadeley wrote:As is often the case with a memorable wine, they sneakup on you when you least expect it.

That is one of the most fun experiences in being a wino - opening an unassuming wine you've had in the cellar for a couple of years, and finding pure pleasure. It doesn't happen often - just twice this year, a '98 Ch. St. Martin and a '99 Allegrini Palazzo Della Torre- but it's really fun when it does.

...and how lucky I was to partake of the Allegrini with OW!!!