The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Sicilian red I like!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: A Sicilian red I like!

by Dale Williams » Thu May 29, 2008 11:34 am

With a couple of vegetarian kids as houseguests for a couple of nights, Betsy decided to go with a pasta dish last night- an eggplant/tomato sauce recipe by Giuliano Hazan as reinterpretted by Robin. Recipe seemed more Southern Italian to me, so thought it was a good time for the
2004 Feudo Montoni Nero d’Avola. I'm not a huge fan of Sicilian wines in general, but I like Montoni because it doesn't seem as "international" as many NdA, without apparent wood and with good acidity for the south. Black and red cherries, a hint of cocoa, a little flinty note. Gets more floral with time. This really strikes me in a good way. Not especially complex, but quite satisfying. About $13. Will get more. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: A Sicilian red I like!

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu May 29, 2008 2:40 pm

Glad to hear there's at least one Sicilian red that can be liked :wink:

I like the white wines made by Planeta (Chardonnay, Cometa, La Segreta), but don't care for their reds, or for any other Sicilian red that I've ever had...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 pm

I have enjoyed some nice stickies.. Hauner, for example
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu May 29, 2008 3:43 pm

Oswaldo,
I've also liked a Frappato (though grape name makes me think of Starbucks), but don't think that's for everyone. Cute pic of Olivia.

James,
is that a Malvasia? Marsala? Something else?
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Thu May 29, 2008 3:46 pm

Dale.. yes, Malvasia....
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jim Hickman

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:20 pm

Jefferson City, Missouri

by Jim Hickman » Thu May 29, 2008 3:55 pm

You might try the 2006 Villa Pozzi Nero d'Avola. Once again, not a complex wine, but very nice with pasta or pizza. At around $10, it's also nicely priced.

Jim
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Thu May 29, 2008 3:58 pm

Dale Williams wrote:...I'm not a huge fan of Sicilian wines in general, but I like Montoni because it doesn't seem as "international" as many NdA....

I agree that many Sicilian wines show a strong international bent, although some can nonetheless be darn tasty (Planeta's "Burdese" Cabernet Sauvignon, to cite a recent example). A couple I've tasted in the last few months that seem to show more character, at least in the sense that they're not blatantly spoofulated, are the Duca di Salaparuta "Duca Enrico" NdA (high-end bottling by Corvo) and the Cusumano Syrah (more meaty and peppery than Shiraz-y, thanks be, and a good value at $11). Cerasuolo di Vittoria, a NdA-Frappato blend, is probably a little more distinctly Sicilian, if you can find it. It's the only Sicilian DOCG. I've had maybe three bottles total, and claim no expertise, but it strikes me as an Italian cousin to a spicy-juicy Cotes du Rhone.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Thu May 29, 2008 6:02 pm

I tasted a lot in the Sicilian area of Vinitaly this year, and travelled there for almost a week in April. My sense is that Sicily is moving in the same direction as the rest of Italy, which is to say towards indigenous grapes and wine types and away from International Boringwine. Feudo Montoni is indeed very different from most Nero d'Avola, it's at very high elevation (which gives better acidity, as you point out), and the wine is made in a very clean but not messed-with style.

The most impressive and 'fine' wine from Sicily IMO is Etna Rosso. Cerasuolo di Vittoria can be delicious but the fact that it's the first DOCG in Sicily just shows how bonkers the system is, it's sort of like Cotes de Rhone being officially superior to Cote-Rotie...

NB I will probably start importing Feudo Montoni soon.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu May 29, 2008 8:13 pm

Jim, will keep an eye out.
Clinton, $50+ for Nero d'Avola! Yikes! I won't experiment there, will have to taste before buying.
Oliver, you seem to have an excellent lineup. Do you only distribute on West Coast? I've liked several wines that you seem to carry, but here they have different importers. Any Etnas in particular you recommend?

And anyone, a little confusion re Cerasuolo dV. I've had a rose and a red Cerasuolo from Abruzzi (the latter a Montepulciano, I think). What does the word mean?
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Thu May 29, 2008 9:14 pm

Dale; one other Sicilian red I think you might find of interest that hasn't been mentioned is Aetna Rosso, which, at its best, can be shockingly lovely and fine. The main grape involved is Nerello Mascalese. One also sometimes finds one with some Nerello Capuccio (sp? --help, Oliver!) The first one I had gave me as much pleasure and surprise as the first fine Burgundy I tasted 36 years ago in my earliest days in the wine business.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Thu May 29, 2008 11:21 pm

I really like the Colosi Sicilia Rosso (100% Nero D`Avola). And it's under $10. 8)
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Thu May 29, 2008 11:36 pm

Jim Hickman wrote:You might try the 2006 Villa Pozzi Nero d'Avola. Once again, not a complex wine, but very nice with pasta or pizza. At around $10, it's also nicely priced.

I second that emotion on the Villa Pozzi.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Sat May 31, 2008 5:39 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:Dale; one other Sicilian red I think you might find of interest that hasn't been mentioned is Aetna Rosso, which, at its best, can be shockingly lovely and fine. .

Steve, I think Oliver's Etna is the more modern spelling of same wine. Now you both have me curious. Any particular producers?
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:22 am

Michael Skurnik imports a couple of nice Etna Rosso’s from Tenuta delle Terre Nere.

Salute
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

by Oliver McCrum » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:15 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Steve Edmunds wrote:Dale; one other Sicilian red I think you might find of interest that hasn't been mentioned is Aetna Rosso, which, at its best, can be shockingly lovely and fine. .

Steve, I think Oliver's Etna is the more modern spelling of same wine. Now you both have me curious. Any particular producers?

Steve's going Greek on us.

Benanti makes some nice wine, both white and red, and at the risk of immodesty the Biondi Etna 'Outis' that I import is excellent. This is also available in NY and perhaps other markets. Salvo Foti, an outstanding enologist from Etna, also makes his own wine and I believe Dressner is importing it. I think it's called Foti.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

by Oliver McCrum » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:21 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Jim, will keep an eye out.
Clinton, $50+ for Nero d'Avola! Yikes! I won't experiment there, will have to taste before buying.
Oliver, you seem to have an excellent lineup. Do you only distribute on West Coast? I've liked several wines that you seem to carry, but here they have different importers. Any Etnas in particular you recommend?

And anyone, a little confusion re Cerasuolo dV. I've had a rose and a red Cerasuolo from Abruzzi (the latter a Montepulciano, I think). What does the word mean?

Thank you, Dale. Many of the wines I import, perhaps most of them, are also available on the East Coast.

'Cerasuolo' means two different things in two different areas of Italy. In the Abruzzo it means Rosé; in Sicily it is used for the fruity blend of Frappato and Nero d'Avola called Cerasuolo di Vittoria, which is very distinctive and can be very good. I don't believe there are any red Cerasuolo from the Abruzzo, but it can make a pretty dark rosé.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:49 pm

Thanks, I just ordered the last couple Biondi "Outis" that Chambers St has.
I probably misremembered the red as being Cerasuolo, the last one was a definitely a rosé, from Illuminati
no avatar
User

Cliff Rosenberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:06 pm

New York City

by Cliff Rosenberg » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:43 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Thanks, I just ordered the last couple Biondi "Outis" that Chambers St has.

Hope you like it. I thought it was delicious.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Archive search! Have just opened/decanted (?) the `06 Cusumano Syrah and will post notes on Wine Focus asap. Excited here at Doris Ranch.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:12 am

Oliver McCrum wrote:
'Cerasuolo' means two different things in two different areas of Italy. In the Abruzzo it means Rosé; in Sicily it is used for the fruity blend of Frappato and Nero d'Avola called Cerasuolo di Vittoria, which is very distinctive and can be very good. I don't believe there are any red Cerasuolo from the Abruzzo, but it can make a pretty dark rosé.

Ah this is interesting. One of my favourite wines last year was produced by Azienda Agricola COS. Not speaking Italian, I initially thought Cerasuolo di Vittoria was the name of the producer. :oops: It was only when I came across the wine in a book entitled "1001 Wines to try before you die" that I realised the winemakers name was Cos. Anyhow here is a write up I found on the winery today from the StarTribune in Minn.

"From Feudo Arancio's vineyards this spring, I made my way with another writer to the Azienda Agricola COS in the Vittoria region near Ragusa in southern Sicily. The drive, in pouring rain, took hours. When we arrived at COS, a fire roared in the fireplace. But owner Giusto Occhipinti wasn't expecting us until the next day; we were crashing a wine-filled supper he was having with friends. Being Italian, he assumed we were hungry and immediately set to feeding us.

Besides being a gracious host, Occhipinti is one of the stars of the contemporary Sicilian wine scene. A trained architect, he is a traditionalist as a winemaker, but he also has modern aesthetic sensibilities. He makes great wine by keeping it simple, adding virtually nothing to his wines but patience and attention.

The house specialty is cerasuolo di Vittoria, an officially recognized wine style generally made by blending locally grown nero d'avola with a more delicate red grape called frappato. Cerasuolo is one of the few officially recognized blended red wines from Sicily, and the good ones are truly beautiful wines -- medium-bodied, fragrant, elegant and full of red fruit.

All COS wines are made naturally, unfiltered and with very little sulfur added. One COS wine, Pithos, is even fermented in Greek-style terra cotta amphorae, which is about as traditional as winemaking gets. COS also makes a couple of excellent straight nero d'avolas. As rustic as these wines may sound, they're also some of the best made in Sicily, proving that respect for tradition and excellence can go hand in hand."

Well worth a try.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:52 am

Steve Edmunds wrote:...Aetna Rosso...

Steve, is this an attempt by insurance companies to move away from subprime-CDC's?? :wink:
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:46 pm

Mark Kogos wrote: One COS wine, Pithos, is even fermented in Greek-style terra cotta amphorae, which is about as traditional as winemaking gets. COS also makes a couple of excellent straight nero d'avolas. As rustic as these wines may sound, they're also some of the best made in Sicily, proving that respect for tradition and excellence can go hand in hand."

Well worth a try.

Mark
Wouldn't you know it, we tried this very wine just over a week ago (At the offline Nayan Gowda organised before he left for Aus & NZ).

I thought it was really interesting (and not just for the production methods). It has no great structure and IIRC we had the 2006 which was definitely ready. Yet... there was huge complexity to the wine, and for me the interesting challenge was to the general rule that typically great, complex wines need age. This was hugely complex and ready to drink.

They sound great hosts as well!

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:34 pm

Ian

Absolutely a small world. Did you try the Pithos or the CdV. If you are trying the CdV, I am told by my very able wine shop that it is better to seek out the 2005 than the 2006. The Decanter mag also had a big write up on them in the Italy supplement either this year or last. i really like the Decanter supplements. I was reading the one on California last night. It has an interesting article in Cal PN and the Rhone wines from Paso Robles.

Cheers
Mark
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:43 am

I share the admiration of others for the unique finesse, in Sicily, coming from Etna - see my notes on Terre Nere a few months ago.

I am glad to hear about a less internationalised Nero d'Avola. I have often felt that this variety had potential if only the producers would let it speak its own language.
Tim York
Next