The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Porca De Murca Reserva Branco 2004

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Porca De Murca Reserva Branco 2004

by Bruce Hayes » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:33 am

From Real Companhia Velha. Douro.

Have you ever noticed how, sometimes, a wine catches you by surprise? Well, as the Brits would say, this wine left me gobsmacked.

Big, rich and complex, very spicy and peppery, pears, light lemon and ruby grapefruit, with a hint of orange as it warmed, lightly honeyed, zippy acidity.

A long, zesty grapefruit and lemon peel finish.

A great summer wine and good QPR at $15.95 Canadian.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: WTN: Porca De Murca Reserva Branco 2004

by Hoke » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:32 am

I've been avidly sucking down this wine since Jason Brandt Lewis introduced me to it a couple of years ago ("Hoke, this is Porca de Murca. Porca de Murca, this is Hoke.")

You're right: it's good stuff, and it's not pricy. What's not to like? :)
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:39 am

Hoke wrote:I've been avidly sucking down this wine since Jason Brandt Lewis introduced me to it a couple of years ago

Where is JBL these days? Did he go off in a huff? My memory is that he was a very passionate poster on the old site. I miss those days. I guess Robin doesn't.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:43 am

James Roscoe wrote:Where is JBL these days? Did he go off in a huff? My memory is that he was a very passionate poster on the old site. I miss those days. I guess Robin doesn't.

JBL turns up on occasion, and he's always welcome here. He's an old and good friend, and I don't believe that he's on huff hiatus. But married-with-children status has likely changed his lifestyle. :)

Do I miss "the old days"? Looking over the new forum, I don't see any really major changes. In retrospect, it would probably have been better if we could have skipped the Netscape adventure, but it certainly seemed like the right idea at the time, and it wasn't just a snap, spur-of-the-moment decision. Now it's starting to look more like a bump in the road. I loved the old forum, and I love the new forum, and I don't see a really major qualitative difference between them. Why would you think I don't miss it, James?
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:01 pm

James, Jason is not in a Huff. He traded that off and has a Saab right now.

Naw, he's just living a richly complex life right now. There's a lot going on at the moment with him. He and the family just got back from a great trip to Europe, as a matter of fact.

He's not into posting as much as he used to be, it's true. But trust me, he's still drinking lots of wine and eating good food. I'd even venture to say he's as happy right now as he's ever been.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:29 pm

Hoke wrote:I've been avidly sucking down this wine since Jason Brandt Lewis introduced me to it a couple of years ago ("Hoke, this is Porca de Murca. Porca de Murca, this is Hoke.")

For a few dollars more ($17.95 Canadian), the LCBO is offering the 2001 Tinto. Have you any experience with the red?
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:14 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:
Hoke wrote:I've been avidly sucking down this wine since Jason Brandt Lewis introduced me to it a couple of years ago ("Hoke, this is Porca de Murca. Porca de Murca, this is Hoke.")

For a few dollars more ($17.95 Canadian), the LCBO is offering the 2001 Tinto. Have you any experience with the red?

Sorry, it's only the white that I've had, Bruce.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:03 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:From Real Companhia Velha. Douro.

Have you ever noticed how, sometimes, a wine catches you by surprise? Well, as the Brits would say, this wine left me gobsmacked.

Big, rich and complex, very spicy and peppery, pears, light lemon and ruby grapefruit, with a hint of orange as it warmed, lightly honeyed, zippy acidity.

A long, zesty grapefruit and lemon peel finish.

A great summer wine and good QPR at $15.95 Canadian.

Thanks for the heads up Bruce, will have to look out for this one. Nice white.