The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Red Knot Shiraz South Australia McLaren Vale

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

WTN: 2004 Red Knot Shiraz South Australia McLaren Vale

by Bill Spencer » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:01 pm

%^)

My first experience with a Zork closure - really easy and I actually think I like it better than the Stelvin ... so dark purple in the glass, it looked almost black ... syrupy legs ... nose of ripe plums, spice, and vanilla with just a whiff of anise ... ripe plums and a little dark chocolate on the front palate ... red berries (sort of a strawberry/raspberry combo) on the mid palate that belies the color of the wine ... spice, black pepper, and a hint of vanilla on the back palate ... just the right dash for me of oak flavor throughout ... and just enough tannins to give it that Aussie shiraz "grip" that I also like ... moderately long finish ... only 14% alcohol ... $11.99 at my local bottle shop ... this was a very fun shiraz with just enough body and "grip" to make it better than just a "quaffer" ...

Paired with a grilled rare ribeye steak, potato salad, artichokes, and sauteed mushrooms ... IMHO think this would be a great accompaniment with just about anything grilled over this long 4th of July holiday weekend ...

Gonna buy some more of this grog ! And another point in Tim's favor about QPR ... I'd rather spend my money on USDA Choice or Prime steak than on some other Napasonoma "wannabees" ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: 2004 Red Knot Shiraz South Australia McLaren Vale

by James Roscoe » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Bill,
I recently had some of this from the 2002 vintage. It had really developed some compexity. Who woulda thunk? You might lay a couple down and try some in a few years, at that price it's worth the experiment.
Cheers!
James
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: WTN: 2004 Red Knot Shiraz South Australia McLaren Vale

by Sue Courtney » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:22 pm

Hi Bill,
That juicy Red Knot Shiraz 2004 is real value for money in my part of the world and I love the Zork closure. As well as delivering the wine in perfect condition (remembering that this is a wine for drinking, not cellaring), the Zork is great for keeping in the drawer to reseal an unfinished bottle of wine that came with a cork.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Yuma, Arizona

Thanks !

by Bill Spencer » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:57 pm

James Roscoe wrote:You might lay a couple down and try some in a few years

%^)

The 2004 seemed to be made "ready for drinking" ... but you're right - at this killer price, what's to lose ? I think both the unobtrusive oak and the level of tannins indicate you're probably right ... would I be wrong to say the wine might get a little more fruit-forward and jammy with a bit of age ?

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Thanks !

by James Roscoe » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:16 pm

Bill Spencer wrote:The 2004 seemed to be made "ready for drinking" ... but you're right - at this killer price, what's to lose ? I think both the unobtrusive oak and the level of tannins indicate you're probably right ... would I be wrong to say the wine might get a little more fruit-forward and jammy with a bit of age ?

Clink !

%^)

I would just say that it seemed a lot more settled down than it is right now. It seemed more integrated, but it was fruit-forward. I wouldn't necessarily say jammy though. There were some nice leather undertones that I recall. It was just a really surprising bottle. I was serving at a private tasting I was doing with my boss. She had a bunch of the '02s left over that she had kept in her cellar under good conditions. They cellared nicely despite Sue's warning to the contrary (and I think she is correct, this stuff is meant to be drunk young). It was a wine crowd in NW DC and they were overwhelmed that a $11 bottle of wine could tast so great after two years. It's worth the experiment. At the worst it will taste the same.
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Yuma, Arizona

Me too !

by Bill Spencer » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:17 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:I love the Zork closure.

%^)

Headed out on vacation the end of July and will spend some time in the California Central Coast wine growing region as always ... gonna ask some of the wine makers I've gotten to know about this closure ... I REALLY like it ! But I take it you don't think it'll hold up to longer term holding ?

Clink !

%^)

no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

Re: Me too !

by Sue Courtney » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:31 pm

Bill Spencer wrote:
Sue Courtney wrote:I love the Zork closure.

%^)

Headed out on vacation the end of July and will spend some time in the California Central Coast wine growing region as always ... gonna ask some of the wine makers I've gotten to know about this closure ... I REALLY like it ! But I take it you don't think it'll hold up to longer term holding ?

Clink !

%^)

Well, the Red Knot Shiraz itself is not made as a long term cellaring wine - I'm saying that becuse it sells for NZ$12.95 a bottle and is pretty soft, juicy and drinkable right now. As for the closure, the only way to know is to cellar some wine and see how it unfolds. But if the wine is not made to cellar, then you can't blame the closure if the wine has fallen over in 3-4 years time. I'm not sure if anyone is doing long term trials with Zork on more cellar worthy wines.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

Re: Me too !

by Sue Courtney » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:34 pm

PS - NZ$12.95 = US$7.80 or CAN$8.70 at today's rates.
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Yuma, Arizona

Red Knot Shiraz

by Bill Spencer » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:42 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:PS - NZ$12.95 = US$7.80 or CAN$8.70 at today's rates.

%^)

WOW !

If I could buy it for that, I sure wouldn't buy just ONE case ! This wine could EASILY be my or anybody else's "go to" red wine for Summer and Fall drinking ...

Clink !

%^)